Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

firmware problèm with Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD and kernel 9

Hi
    I'm sorry, i speak english verry bad, but i would try.

Here is my big worries. I had tried to mount a multimedia server by integrating a card 4 Tuners TV because in my bled I can forget the TV by ADSL (flow too low). I went on an Ubuntu 16.10 in kernel 4.8 and I did not have any problems to install this card. Only the slowness of the distro ma a little cooled. So I decided to migrate to a libreelec, but I discovered that the root folder is blocked, which prevents me to update my firmware. So I opted for the latest Debian 9 with kernel 4.9.

I installed it in a server version without installing a graphics server (the goal is to already operate my TV tuner) with openSSH and that's it.

I notice that my card is present but is not recognized by the kernel.
    Dmesg tells me that the firmware dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw is loaded in version 4.0.2

And this is the problem, so that this card works it is necessary to load this firmware in its version 4.0.11

I scan /lib/firmware and this folder is empty what astonishes me a little because the firmware dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw should be there. I put the correct version of the firmware in the folder per consciousness but that does not change anything. Well I suspected it too!

After having searched everywhere I start to no longer know what to do, is the firmware already integrated in the kernel? If so, how to update it?

Thank you for your help

I happen to have 14f1:8880 card, and it works with dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01 firmware version: 3.0.5. You did not mention the exact model of your card.

thanks for your answer.

With lspci -nnv:

Code:
    04:00.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [14f1:8852] (rev 03)
    	Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [0070:6a28]
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    	Memory at e4000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
    	Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    	Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
    	Capabilities: [90] Vital Product Data
    	Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
    	Capabilities: [200] Virtual Channel
    	Kernel driver in use: cx23885
    	Kernel modules: cx23885

05:00.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [14f1:8852] (rev 03)
    	Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. CX23885 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [0070:6b28]
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    	Memory at e4200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
    	Capabilities: [40] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    	Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
    	Capabilities: [90] Vital Product Data
    	Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
    	Capabilities: [200] Virtual Channel
    	Kernel driver in use: cx23885
    	Kernel modules: cx23885

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I suspect this is something else. This card requires a bunch of kernel drivers to work, perhaps you are missing some.

perhaps but i had already done it works with the kernel 4.8 by updating the firmware in its version 4.0.11. But I do not find it in /lib/firmware. I do not know where the module si2168 loads this firmware because the folder /lib/firmware is empty

Well, there are three ways to load firmware.
    1. It can be built into kernel.
    2. It can be built into initramfs.
    2. It can be loaded from /lib/firmware/.
    I am not there watching over your shoulder, can't tell what's going on with your computer. I build my kernels myself, so I know exactly how mine works.

I had read that it is not very clever to integrate directly a firmware in the kernel but I suspsonne for a moment that this is the case. But I do not know how to try to compile a kernel by updating this firmware. I'm starting to understand how linux works but I still do not master enough.

I doubt your kernel has the firmware built in. I do not know how Debian builds initramfs, maybe it is in there. I do not use initramfs myself.

I will try to find a solution in this sense, but for now it is true that I do not really understand how to modify an initramfs to make it load a different firmware.

Do you still have Ubuntu install? If you do, boot it and run lsmod to see what modules are loaded. Compare with Debian.