Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Connecting bluetooth keyboard+mouse to JioPhone

Hi,
    I am from India, and they have recently introduced a cheap phone here called JioPhone which runs KaiOS, which is, apparently, a version of Firefox OS. It is connectable to a TV. Now, what I want to know is - is there a way to connect a bluetooth keyboard+mouse to this thing so one can use it as a computer? I don't have one myself, and this info would help in me taking the decision to buy one.
    If this is possible, it will REVOLUTIONISE *LIVES* here - there are poor people who will experience the net for the first TIME, if it happens.
    Maybe *some* crazy hacker has some info on how it could be pulled off? The specs are here:
    -**** I can't post URLs - just go to trak dot in and type in "jio phone specs"-
    Thanks for your help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If it has a USB port, you can use a Logitech mouse and keyboard very easily. They have a small USB dongle that will plug into the port, and then the keyboard and mouse work amazingly well! I use them all the time. Not very expensive (in US dollars) - under $50 USD for a keyboard and mouse with wireless dongle. In fact, that is what I am using right now to respond to this message!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Um No, I did some Googling, and it seems that USB connections will require something called "USB OTG", which Jio Phone does NOT have, if this page is to be believed:
    gadgets.ndtv.com/jio-phone-4255

No - what about Bluetooth? Can that be used?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can use BT, but it is a serious PITA!

I'm somewhat of a computer junkie Please, do expound! (However I know NOTHING about Bluetooth, and even less of this phone's innards (CPU etc.) - I should STILL be able to follow you, though...)

Hello? Are you there?

Quote Originally Posted by openguy View Post
    Hello? Are you there?
    I'm here, but I don't know if I can tell you more. Most phones, laptops, and computers these days have a BT interface (it is radio-based). They usually have a tool that allows you to pair your BT headset or other device with it, but you have to enable the device first so the base-station can find it. The range is also limited - to about 50 feet or so.

Linux Guru
    i agree that a statement like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You can use BT, but it is a serious PITA!
    would require some explanation...

but:
    the phone has bluetooth connectivity.
    it runs KAI OS - it is possible that this os can detect your bluetooth devices and do the right thing.
    we do not know, but this is where you have to put your effort.
    doesn't either kai os or jio have its own community?

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i agree that a statement like this:

would require some explanation...

but:
    has bluetooth connectivity.
    it runs KAI OS - it is possible that this os can detect your bluetooth devices and do the right thing.
    we do not know, but this is where you have to put your effort.
    doesn't either kai os or jio have its own community?

For Jio - not that I know of. And Kai OS - I don't know.
    I should say that I don't HAVE the phone yet - they just started shipping the 2nd consignment - they're having problems delivering, cause so many people have booked them!! I had to leave behind my email so that they'll let me know when I can buy one again.....no email so far

It's something called a "SPREADTRUM" chip - anyone know anything about those?

Linux Guru
    openguy,
    don't you know how to use a search engine?
    https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=what%20is%20spreadtrum%20chip
    and while you're at it:
    https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=kai%20os
    that wasn't so hard, was it?