Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Issue with HP Spectre X360 laptop and Linux

I purchased a 2016 HP Spectre x360 laptop with an i7, 8 gb of ram, 256gb SSD, and 1080p screen. I loaded MInt on it and it went perfectly. No problems at all, easiest installation I had ever done. I rebooted a couple of times, laptop ran great all day. Then I shut down for the night. I had 40% power left on it when I shut down. The next morning, I push the power button and...nothing. The lcd had power, but no boot screen, no login screen. I pushed the power button again, nothing. I tried to get into BIOS, no luck, then the battery started getting hot, really hot, almost too hot to touch. I took it back to Best Buy, and they replaced it with a different model (same specs), and I have decided to keep winders on it till I can do more research on any issues. I have never had an issue like that, I have successfully added linux to three HP or Compaq laptops over the years. Anyone have any idea?

It is this model: HP - Spectre x360 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - HP finish in dark ash silver
    Model: 13-AC063DXSKU: 6113107

I am nervous about adding Linux since I don't want another dead laptop (at about $1,000 a pop), and I am curious if this is a known issue with the Spectre x360 line? It was the EASIEST installation I have ever done; Hit f9 on startup, boot from the USB drive, and voila! Linux-time.

Just Joined!
    Don't believe the fake Linux news! The SPI bricking bug in Ubuntu 17.10 affects all brands and even desktops that use buggy Atom SoCs. Unfortunately Intel marketed these chips as if they were real "Pentium" and "Celeron" CPUs so you can't tell from the sticker on the machine.

I'm not aware of Core i7 HPs being affected. I'd still upgrade your BIOS to the latest version though. I just got InsydeH2O v5 straight from HP's online support site.

Ok, I will update the BIOS, but I am just worried that perhaps the Kaby Lake Hp Spectre X360's have some issue with Mint.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    an intel laptop that actually has the word "Spectre" in its model name?

Yep. It has been stable running Winders for a couple of days, so this weekend if there are no issues I will re-install Mint 18.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    an intel laptop that actually has the word "Spectre" in its model name?

I am so stupid. I forgot to change to Legacy boot. Now it works great, and in fact I am using it right now to post. I am such a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphcid View Post
    I am so stupid. I forgot to change to Legacy boot. Now it works great, and in fact I am using it right now to post. I am such a noob.
    We all do it mate, especially stuff that's set in the BIOS, which we tend to forget about, so no worries. Let's close the thread and mark it solved.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.