Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wifi detects but doesnt connect/version.h missing

Hey everyone! Iím a very new Linux user, I have Lubuntu 14.04 on an ANCIENT laptop from 2002 (Toshiba Satellite 2410). Iím trying to get my wireless internet to work. I can see wireless networks but when I try to connect to one it will take about a minute and then ask for the password, then take another minute, ask for the password, and keeps going like that until I press cancel.

So because of my laptops age I was thinking I had to install drivers from the website. Got the driver, decompressed it, when I did make install the terminal gave me this issue (which I cant copy because right clicking does nothing in my XTerm...?)

Linux kernel source not configured - missing version.h

The readme in the drivers folder says- To solve this issue, create the version.h file by going to the Linux
    source tree and entering:

make include/linux/version.h.

When I do I get an error: no rule to make target include/linux/version.h.

This is where Im pulling my hair out. Can anyone help me with this? Ive been googling around and I cant figure out what Linux source tree is. Ive tried cd /usr/src/ and doing the make include/linux/version.h but I get the same no rule error.

Going big time crazy, can anyone help me out? Do I even need to be doing this driver stuff? Could my wifi problems be from something else entirely? I remember installing Lubuntu it asked me to choose which adapter or ethernet card or port or whatever to use as default and that I could change it later, maybe I chose the wrong one? Any insight would be appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Hi there.

Two things I can spot. First up, the hardware may just not be compatible with Linux, as there were many win-only wifi/modems released in the 2000's.

Secondly, you need to install you kernel header files before you can compile against the kernel to get a driver module. Look for kernel-devel package in your distro package manager. But! Check that the version of kernel-devel that you install does in fact match the version that you are running. In some managers you will get a few kernel-devel-xx packages for each of the supported kernels. In openSuse, however, there is only one such package, but then you click on the version tab, and tick the kernel version that you want to install against.

Run "uname -r" to check your current kernel version.

Go well.

You need to identify the device properly. It may be just missing the firmware. For example:
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 [8086:3165] (rev 81)
            Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 [8086:4010]
            Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
            Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    The important part here is [8086:3165]. What's yours?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    @Sarlac II

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I was fearing that answer, I think it may just be too old. Ive searched Synaptic for ®ḱernel-devel® and the closest I could find was ®linux-libc-dev® and it is in my kernel version. Should I try that out and continue with my original plan?

@Segfault

02:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller [8086:1031] (rev 42)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems EtherExpress PRO/100 VE [1179:0001]
    Kernel driver in use: e100
    Thats what I got for my wireless controller when I ran that command. Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but what do you mean by identify it properly? And what is the importance of that number? Thanks to you as well for taking the time to reply!

Im so sick of fiddling with this one problem that Im tempted to spend my last $10 on a USB wireless adapter. Think thatīll work?

This is your wired ethernet card. Importance of PCI ID. It determines which driver is needed. There may be devices which are marketed under same name, but the hardware actually is not same, thus requiring a different driver. Using the actual ID removes this uncertainty. If your wireless card does not show up in lspci then either it is not functional or it is not connected via PCI. As an example, here is the Linux driver information for your 8086:1031 https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/N...DOR_INTEL.html

Linux Guru
    please provide the info requested here:
    https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=24

PS:
    to copy from xterm, just highlight with mouse.
    to paste, middle-click.

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownhog View Post
    @Sarlac II

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I was fearing that answer, I think it may just be too old. Ive searched Synaptic for ®ḱernel-devel® and the closest I could find was ®linux-libc-dev® and it is in my kernel version. Should I try that out and continue with my original plan?
    <snip>
    Im tempted to spend my last $10 on a USB wireless adapter. Think thatīll work?
    Hi there, sorry, my bad, I didn't read the distro and version that you're on! Run "uname -r" to check your current kernel version (for 14.04 LTS, that would be 4.4.0-83-generic), and then "apt-cache search linux-source" to see what versions you have available. The kernel-devel package is what some use, but linux-source is what Ubuntu 14.04 uses. Sorry!

Also, check the contents of "/usr/src/" for your header files. If you have the latest 14.04 updates before support was canceled, then you should see something like:

drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Aug 5 2016 linux-headers-3.16.0-30
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Aug 5 2016 linux-headers-3.16.0-30-generic
    drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 May 19 2017 linux-headers-3.16.0-77
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 May 19 2017 linux-headers-3.16.0-77-generic
    drwxr-xr-x 27 root root 4096 Jul 7 2017 linux-headers-4.4.0-83
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Jul 7 2017 linux-headers-4.4.0-83-generic

As for the USB option, that is a possible solution. But make sure that you do your research for supported types. I did manage to find one, but even so I had to edit the driver source to add the device and vendor ID's for the variant they sold in my country. Check out the rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux drivers on Github (https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux is the original, I forked it to add my device)... and then check for supported adapters, which you can then match up to something on an online website, to ensure you get something that works.

Go well.