Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Pendrive very slow to 'write"

Evening:

I have a pendrive (flashdrive, memory drive, memory stick...etc)
    that recently began 'writing" at speeds less than half of what it used to. Read speeds seem to be the same. After many applications to correct this, I've come up with nothing. The drive will still write, albeit very slow and I can't figure out why or what may have caused it. I've done extensive tests on the drive and all show the drive to be "healthy"/no bad sectors/in good working order. Can anyone tell me what I can do to restore this drive? I've tried to find articles to explain how a drive writes, but no luck. I've saw a few articles in reference to HDD's, but I think that's a different animal. #1. I would like to restore the drive to it's original specs/operation #2. Curious to know what caused this. If you need futher info about the drive, please request, for there is a lot I've done. I was able to remove the files on it. So, I don't think it's toast.
    KINGSTON DT101G 2.0 16Gb...approx 2 y/o with only moderate use.

Rick

These flash drives have their own internal controller, this controller handles all the cells and takes care of re-assigning addresses when some location goes bad. All this is invisible to user. So one would guess the controller re-addressed something and the new configuration is less optimal, thus reduced speed.
    The above is pure speculation, I really do not know what's going on with your thumbdrive.
    You could check if it is recognized at least as a USB-2 device.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ran tests on all my pendrives and found 2 more with deficient write speed.(total 6) And one with both read/write speeds far below standards. One of those drives I had not used in over 6 mos...long before any of these malady's started/existed. I'm very suspicious now, of Win7 for that's where it's all "happening" (?) I'll try to use Linux 18.3 as often as I can, but that's not always possible. Anyways...anybody have any ideas/thoughts?

THANX

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter69 View Post
    Anyways...anybody have any ideas/thoughts?
    I had some technical ones which you chose to ignore.
    Lets tray different approach then. I think your pendrives may be cursed. There is a voodoo witch in New Orleans, she can remove the curse and make them fast again. The cost is $499 per curse.

Segfault:

You had 1 question which WAS answered in a previous post and therefore, irrelevant. I would like to point out the phrase at the bottom of your reply "How to ask questions the SMART way". I suggest you apply yourself to that. As far as your suggestion "Lets tray[sic] different approach then" perhaps you may wish to visit such voodoo witch and have her remove the curse of your ignorance!! PLEASE, DO NOT REPLY to any of my threads!!!

Linux Guru
    wixter96 already got all possible answers elsewhere, but they keep on posting.
    apparently in the hope that all those answers turn out to be wrong, and the stick can somehow be saved with some magical trick.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    wixter96 already got all possible answers elsewhere, but they keep on posting.
    apparently in the hope that all those answers turn out to be wrong, and the stick can somehow be saved with some magical trick.
    RE: nihili

YOU are incorrect. I've not received ANY "answers" directly addressing the questions I posed. It's just that YOU don't have any answers! Segfault offered some "opinions" and then became a smartass when I didn't didn't accept his answer, even though he admitted it "was pure speculation". Why must I say this again... if you don't know, don't answer/reply. That's a pretty simple concept...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixter69 View Post

YOU are incorrect. I've not received ANY "answers" directly addressing the questions I posed. It's just that YOU don't have any answers! Segfault offered some "opinions" and then became a smartass when I didn't didn't accept his answer, even though he admitted it "was pure speculation". Why must I say this again... if you don't know, don't answer/reply. That's a pretty simple concept...
    see post #3, wixter.

-->
    I've had 2 self-proclaimed "GURU's" spew their rhetoric then suggest I accept it as gospel. I'm closing this thread and going elsewhere...hopefully to a forum where there are intelligent responses.