Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question BYTCR-RT5640 can't get sound to work

Hello people,

This a generic tablet/computer, Bay Trail chipset, Atom Z3735F CPU.

I have tried the steps recommended here but I still don't get sound at all.

I do get an overwhelming amount of different options and meters in alsamixer.
    I'm attaching the amixer output (too big to paste here) and the aplay -l output. The dmesg too in case it helps.

dmesg.txt
    amixer.txt
    aplay-l.txt

How do I go about getting the sound to work?

Once I got the headphones working, I think it was related to uninstalling pulseaudio and tinkering with the volumes/switches in alsamixer, but I couldn't reproduce it anymore.

More info on this PC:
    Runs Debian 9 (Stretch) 32-bit EFI.
    I had to install the 4.17 kernel for it not to freeze at the KDE loading screen. Tried a live Buster+firmware (10-testing) and the sound doesn't work either.
    Integrated bluetooth/webcams (rear/front) aren't even recognized or don't work at all. Battery is not recognized (no way to find out actual charge).
    I installed the latest firmware-realtek package (from Buster/testing) and got the wifi working (rtl8723bs).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try using alsamixer and scroll right with arrow key to see all sliders. My guess is something is muted or turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by tauro_kpo View Post
    Hello people,

This a generic tablet/computer, Bay Trail chipset, Atom Z3735F CPU.

I have tried the steps recommended here but I still don't get sound at all.

I do get an overwhelming amount of different options and meters in alsamixer.
    I'm attaching the amixer output (too big to paste here) and the aplay -l output. The dmesg too in case it helps.

dmesg.txt
    amixer.txt
    aplay-l.txt

How do I go about getting the sound to work?

Once I got the headphones working, I think it was related to uninstalling pulseaudio and tinkering with the volumes/switches in alsamixer, but I couldn't reproduce it anymore.

More info on this PC:
    Runs Debian 9 (Stretch) 32-bit EFI.
    I had to install the 4.17 kernel for it not to freeze at the KDE loading screen. Tried a live Buster+firmware (10-testing) and the sound doesn't work either.
    Integrated bluetooth/webcams (rear/front) aren't even recognized or don't work at all. Battery is not recognized (no way to find out actual charge).
    I installed the latest firmware-realtek package (from Buster/testing) and got the wifi working (rtl8723bs).
    so lets see: you dont have working sound, wifi, bluetooth, webcam, or a recognized battery, and had to go through junk to get that working, along with shoving on a different kernel. either your system is old or VERY new, and the fact that its 32 bit would indicate old. telling us "bay trail chipset" is meaningless, how about just the brand and model number? did you try a different distro, because the one you chose obviously isnt working.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You were right @segfault, the secret was in all the +100 sliders and options
    I found some scripts on the web that helped me so much.
    I'll leave a link here for fellow users of this garbage chipset: https://github.com/plbossart/UCM/issues/1
    direct-link-download

Forgot to say that to get pulseaudio working too, you need to edit /etc/pulse/default.pa

Add:
    load-module module-alsa-sink
    load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0,0

Comment:

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
    #.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
    #load-module module-udev-detect
    #.else
    ### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
    #load-module module-detect
    #.endif**

Source:
    https://github.com/plbossart/UCM/issues/18

Thanks for trying to help, hope this helps others!
    I'll give up with the battery indicator for the moment, it doesn't last long anyway.