Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    Seeking advice on Epson Perfection V370 or V800 photo scanner


    Hi all,

    Can Epson Perfection V370 or V800 photo scanner scan film negative on Linux platform?

    I learned a bitter lesson before on using my old Epson Perfection 3490 photo scanner (The scanner is still working). It could scan photos without problem on Linux platform running both Simple Scan and Xsane. However it couldn't scan film negatives running Xsane.

    Epson Perfection 3490 photo scanner can scan both photos and film negatives on MS Windows platform with the software supplied by Epson.

    I'm now prepared to replace this old scanner with either Epson Perfection V370 or V800 photo scanner. Before doing so I'm now searching around for information whether they work on Linux platform avoiding falling into the same pitfall. The scanner will be mainly used for scanning film negatives.

    Please shed me some light. Thanks in advance.

    Or suggestion for other bands of scanner will be welcome.

    Regards
    satimis

  2. #2
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi all,

    Can Epson Perfection V370 or V800 photo scanner scan film negative on Linux platform?

    I learned a bitter lesson before on using my old Epson Perfection 3490 photo scanner (The scanner is still working). It could scan photos without problem on Linux platform running both Simple Scan and Xsane. However it couldn't scan film negatives running Xsane.

    Epson Perfection 3490 photo scanner can scan both photos and film negatives on MS Windows platform with the software supplied by Epson.

    I'm now prepared to replace this old scanner with either Epson Perfection V370 or V800 photo scanner. Before doing so I'm now searching around for information whether they work on Linux platform avoiding falling into the same pitfall. The scanner will be mainly used for scanning film negatives.

    Please shed me some light. Thanks in advance.

    Or suggestion for other bands of scanner will be welcome.

    Regards
    satimis
    lets see, you 'learned a bitter lesson" with your other epson scanner and your bright idea is to go out and buy ANOTHER ONE that you said you learned from? brilliant.

    did you look at the epson site? where they have full linux driver support with docs and even a software suite for the sole purpose of scanning film? or did you just want someone else to search for you because your too lazy? try looking at your threads from the other forums youve spammed with this same question.

  3. #3
    Hi,

    There is a long history for me struggling to use Epson Perfection 3490 on Linux platform tracing back to 2007. The Linux platform for running it at that time was Ubuntu 7.04. It is a nice scanner but unfortunately I couldn't make it to scan film negatives on Linux platform.

    2 days ago I have contacted the local technical support of Epson here asking whether Epson Perfection V800 Photo scanner works on Linux platform. Their answer was NO.

    Before I give up my idea to run it on Linux platform I start this thread as my last effort in anticipation that some folks have idea to make Epson Perfection V800 Photo scanner to work on Linux Platform
    Last edited by satimis; 03-11-2019 at 04:52 PM.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi,

    There is a long history for me struggling to use Epson Perfection 3490 on Linux platform tracing back to 2007. The Linux platform for running it at that time was Ubuntu 7.04. It is a nice scanner but unfortunately I couldn't make to scan film negatives on Linux platform.
    wow really? then why did you post that you did have it working for negatives on other forums?

    2 days ago I have contacted the local technical support of Epson here asking whether Epson Perfection V800 Photo scanner works on Linux platform. Their answer was NO.
    yea right. thats why they have the drivers and docs on their website. totally not supported. took me about 60 seconds to find the link with a search on their website. and its also listed as a supported device under sane and listed in the ubuntu wiki with instructions for setup.

    but yea, its not supported at all, right? back to 'you are lazy and/or stupid", since you cant or wont go look.
    Before I give up my idea to run it on Linux platform I start this thread as my last effort in anticipation that some folks having idea to make Epson Perfection V800 Photo scanner to work on Linux Platform
    you load the driver and use it thats how, dumbass. youve been wandring around for 12 yrs about epson scanners and depending on what forum your spamming, claim to have it working/not working/sorta working.

    cant seem to pay attention and just load the drivers or try software like gimp or other photo-related packages to scan.

  6. #5
    wow really? then why did you post that you did have it working for negatives on other forums?
    That is a good question. I posted my question on several forums which I used in the past. Maybe I missed something here. I'm sorry for that. Actually my old Epson Perfection 3490 works on Windows platform. However I expect to make it to work on Linux platform

    I have large stock of film negatives but without time to handle them in the past just leaving them in store room.

    2 weeks ago I started an idea to purchase a stand-alone Film Negative Scanner to turn all of them to digital. After having heavy search on Internet I found that only low resolution image files can be produced if with Digitnow unless purchasing Plustex 8200i

    Flatbed scanning and 35mm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmC5U5aiclw

    Plustex 8200i only scans 35mm film strips but I have 120mm film and its price is NOT cheap. Then I resume the idea to purchase a new flatbed scanner, V370 or V800. I haven't purchased it yet. In case if it is impossible to make it working on Linux platform I'll run it on Windows and stop pursue further.

  7. #6
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    That is a good question. I posted my question on several forums which I used in the past. Maybe I missed something here. I'm sorry for that. Actually my old Epson Perfection 3490 works on Windows platform. However I expect to make it to work on Linux platform
    and you said you did. so either you lied or forget where you spam.
    I have large stock of film negatives but without time to handle them in the past just leaving them in store room.
    no one cares but you
    2 weeks ago I started an idea to purchase a stand-alone Film Negative Scanner to turn all of them to digital. After having heavy search on Internet I found that only low resolution image files can be produced if with Digitnow unless purchasing Plustex 8200i

    Flatbed scanning and 35mm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmC5U5aiclw

    Plustex 8200i only scans 35mm film strips but I have 120mm film and its price is NOT cheap. Then I resume the idea to purchase a new flatbed scanner, V370 or V800. I haven't purchased it yet. In case if it is impossible to make it working on Linux platform I'll run it on Windows and stop pursue further.
    are you retarded or can you not read? how many times would you like someone to tell you that it IS TOTALLY SUPPORTED. youve been told more than once already is there a particular word you have problems with?.

    pay attention: epson has drivers and docs on their website; go look for them yourself. it is ALREADY supported under linux sane, and is in the hcl.

    if plugging this in is too hard for you then itd be best for everyone if you went and used windows.

  8. #7
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    -->
    what you cant reply satimis? you were back on here hours after the post. or do you just come to have people babysit you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •