Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Do anyone knows if "SpeedStream" from "Efficient Networks,INC" (cable modem with usb and ethernet ports form bell-sympatico) is supported in linux? Have anybody configured it under Mandrake 9.X? Thanks, afrolinux...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sympatico's SpeedStreem under Mandrake 9.x

Do anyone knows if "SpeedStream" from "Efficient Networks,INC" (cable modem with usb and ethernet ports form bell-sympatico) is supported in linux? Have anybody configured it under Mandrake 9.X?

Thanks,

afrolinux

should be....what is the model number!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Engineer
    It works great... have this one at home with sympatico as well

depending on the firmware, you can even set your modem as a router! ill update you with the required firmware, since im not home...
    if ever you have an older version of the modem, you can always go into control center, go into network option and create a new PPP connection dont set any gateway or dns, simply your B1 and password and you'll be good to go...

dont hesitate to ask any other question (i've worked for sympatico (tech support) a full year so dont hesitate )
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Ok, Now It is working but it still I am having some problems

Ok, Now It is working but it still I am having some problems. I have linux (Mandrake) partition and W2K. Both connect well to the internet when I power off and again on the SpeedStream but if I do not power off/on when I return from the linux partition to the windows the Windows OS have assigned to the eth0 some autodiscovery IP 169.x.x.x address. And as you know the SpeedStream private address range is 192.168.2.0/24. So eather I have to reboot both my computer and the speeadstream or I have to assign manually the IP and ping continuoslly to the modem until ARP is restablished. Do you see why this is occurig?

Thanks,

afrolinux

Linux Engineer
    You do not have to reconfigure every time...
    it works fairly easy...
    I'll post a way of doing this with one of the newest version of the speedstream

go into windows,
    in your NIC configuration set these :
    IP 192.186.2.2
    DNS 192.168.2.1
    GATEWAY 192.186.2.1
    NETMASK 255.255.255.0

then apply
    in your browse, type
    http://192.186.2.1
    then you'll get into the configurator of the speedstream. Set in your userName and password and connect... this will "auto" connect on modem power on

from Linux, set the same value and enjoy

IF however you have an older version of the speedstream and this doesnt work. you can go into MCC and under Network configuration, create a new ADSL connection dont set any DNS enter your UserName and Password. Set it to activate on BOOT and this'll work very smootly.

Please tell me if you have any further problems with these settings
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Works fine. Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    Gotta love sympatico's unlimited bandwith too!
    downloaded more then 50 gig and uploaded 80 gig this month...

Just Joined!
    Well I have listen radio or music some all day and download movies. But to download 50gig is to much I think. Always have the router on though. May be that account for it.

Seriously, Are you saying you have access to my bandwidth usage. I do not belive that even you were working for Bell. Unless my account is the only one with linux/windows system from Toronto and you looked at the log files. And being you in Montreal I doubt about it.

Merci bukoo

afrolinux

Linux Engineer
    No I didnt look into your account.
    I was talking about my sympatico account
    And yes I did work for Bell Sympatico, why would I lie about it?

Just Joined!
    I was worring if some of the application I have was doing some continous pings to the servers (e.g. Kasamba Suit). So I was just downloading some sniffers what this and the Freedom Firewall do. Because I was sure I did not use that bandwidth. If you are using that bandwidth be sure Bell executive will be blaming you if they go bancruptcy

Thanks for the help.

afrolinux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast