Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay help please! I have two hard drives. SuSe 9.1 was on hda hdb had an old version of SuSe, that I just yesterday reformatted completely using Yast to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hard drive crash, bios cant find it now

Okay help please!
    I have two hard drives.
    SuSe 9.1 was on hda
    hdb had an old version of SuSe, that I just yesterday reformatted completely using Yast to use for music, the mistake I believe I made was telling it to mount itself to /home. Stupid, I had tons of stuff loaded in /home.
    As soon as I did that, nothing would load, no programs, no web browsers, nothing. So I went to system recovery via Yast.
    It scanned everything, and I tried again, it booted alright into SuSe, but it wouldnt let me log onto my username or anything, KDE wouldn't load.
    This morning I sat down to try again, and now, suddenly, my bios, my entire computer wont detect EITHER of my hard drives.
    I couldn't have completely destroyed my hard drives doing this could I have?
    How can I get bios to detect my hard drives? Right now my setup is set to automatically detect my drives.
    I tried running SuSe install, but it doesn't detect any hard drives either so I cant just start over.
    HELP... please??

Just Joined!
    If SUSE install did not detect the hard drive that is definitvely hardware problem. Open your box and check all IDE bus connections. Master/slave configuration including your CDROM. On booting bios go to BIOS setup utility (Keep pressing F2 or Del) and try running autodetect the hard drives and put again SUSE install. If SUSE install detects the hard drive turn off the computer and try to run your system normally without SUSE install.

afrolinux

Just Joined!
    So I went to system recovery via Yast.
    It scanned everything, and I tried again, it booted alright into SuSe, but it wouldnt let me log onto my username or anything, KDE wouldn't load.
    Would not be that some of your filesystem (e.g. /etc) was mapped to the hard drive you just formatted? In that case starting again seems the only solution.

afrolinux

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    How would my formatting and messing up my filesystem have messed up my hardware within my box? I'm just not sure how that would have happened.
    Man I hope I didn't kill something.
    Thanks I'll go take a peek.