Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I need a reliable USB CDRW/DVDRW for my laptop running SuSE 9.1. Have USB 2.0 port on IBM R30. Can't seem to locate a list of devices like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need USB CDRW/DVDRW for SuSE 9.1

Hello all. I need a reliable USB CDRW/DVDRW for my laptop running SuSE 9.1. Have USB 2.0 port on IBM R30. Can't seem to locate a list of devices like this that are known to work. Not sure which one to buy. All help appreciated.

Linux User
    You can't go wrong with Plextor. In my opinion, they make some of the quietest, best reading drives out there, and write very well. There are the little touches too, like the black drive tray to reduce jitter, and the ejection motor which slows as it reaches the end of it's movement. I'm very happy with my internal 52x24x52, and I don't think I've ever seen someone unhappy with their purchase of a Plextor.

They do tend to be a little pricier, but I think it's well worth it. They have the PX-712UF, which would probably be the most common option. Then there's the slower 708UF if that's too pricey, or the PX-716UF if you want the extra speed and the ability to burn dual layer DVD's.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!

So what you're suggesting is...

... that the Plextor is known to be fully functional under SuSE 9.1? Does anyone know of a hardware compatibility list (not necessarily specific to SuSE)?

ps. thanks for your reply about the plextor.Very helpful!

Linux User
    You can see here that it will work with on IEEE1394. I can't imagine it not working on USB as well (1.1 or 2.0) as long as your USB controller is functional. As for SuSE autoconfiguring it, I can't speak for that.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe