Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all, I understand the concept of this modutils package and why modules instead of drivers. But how do i know which modules to load?? is there a list. just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

modutils package

hello all, I understand the concept of this modutils package and why modules instead of drivers.

But how do i know which modules to load?? is there a list. just look at the available modules and read the .txt file for a device that looks familiar?

Most things in the kernel can be compiled as modules. If you have the kernel source installed, just cd to that directory and make menuconfig. From here, you can select things to be built as a module when they look like such:

Code:
    <M> Ext3 journalling file system support
    The M can optionally be a '*', which means compiled into the kernel. When the option has brackets, however, it must either be left out or compiled in (can't do it as a module):

Code:
    &#91;*&#93;   Ext3 extended attributes
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    well, I appreciate your answer sourmont, but what I meant was

say i have a widgets tv tunercard. My system does not recognize it. How do I do I find out what is proper modules for it? What modules would I load? Is there a device.hints file like in FreeBSD? This file tells you what modules you could possibly load for a particular hardware.

thnks