Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is the benefit to having raid setup. I going to be getting a new mobo in the next week, and it has serial ata raid 0,1. Could some one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Raid

What is the benefit to having raid setup. I going to be getting a new mobo in the next week, and it has serial ata raid 0,1. Could some one please help me with this.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Just Joined!
    linux doesent use the raid controler it has its own
    the benifit of raid is that if one hard drive goes down you have another
    the same

Linux Newbie
    does that happen a lot on PC's used by the normal user. Would there be an advantage to having that on a pc used just for internet use.
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

the only thing raid is really good for is data redundancy. you really wont notice a speed difference for internet searches. i have used raid and really its not worth the hassle unless you have vital data you wish not to lose.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Except for RAID 0 which doubles (when using 2 discs) the chance of data loss but gives a better read and write performance
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    RAID 0 merges two drives into one big one with twice the capacity and twice the speed. If either disk fails, you're stuck.

RAID 1 copies all the data onto two drives, so you pay for two drives but only get the capacity of one drive. However, if either drive fails you can replace it and you wont lose data.

Because RAID 0 and RAID 1 are simple, some motherboards provide HW support for them.

The clever bit is RAID 5, where you take two disks worth of data and spread it over three disks (in general you actually get the option of N disks of data spread over N+1 disks). If a drive fails, you can swap it out without loss of data.

You can by a RAID controller as a piece of hardware, or Linux can do it in software. This puts load on your processor ad slows down write operations, but it's pretty cost effective.