Find the answer to your Linux question:
After giving up with my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI that came with my DELL computer, I got a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI MP3+, which seems to be recognized by Linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New Soundcard, No Sound

After giving up with my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI that came with my DELL computer, I got a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI MP3+, which seems to be recognized by Linux. I have access to my volume control (which formerly could not be moved from its 0 position). My soundcard also shows up in the Harddrake utility, which it had not before.

However, I am not able to actually get sound. I have added the emu10k1 into my kernel (I built it in, no modulization), and can access alsamixer successfully, with the correct card recognized:

Card: Soundblaster Live!
    Chip: SigmaTel STAC9708/11
    Item: Master

Harddrake also shows me the proper driver (snd-emu10k1) as being selected for the card.

lspci has the following to say:

02:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
    02:01.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 07)

When I run alsaconf, no cards are detected. Also, aumix does not appear to work on my computer.

If anyone can suggest anything, I'd be grateful. I'm so close!

I think you have a OSS/Alsa conflict. The compiled in driver (OSS ?? ) prevents the other driver (ALSA ?? ) to be loaded. Try to configure and compile all sound support as modules .

The 2.4 kernel default is OSS, the 2.6 kernel default is Alsa. I recommend Alsa, it is working fine on my machine with SBLive value on both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels .
    I\'m so tired .....

I got it working.

I already had OSS removed, and I made the following changes:

- Changed ALSA support to modules
    - Ran alsaconf
    - Opened Volume Control and raised speaker volume

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close