Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

modem configuration

I have just installed fedora core, and I am kinda newbie to linux generally. Everything seems to work fine, except my internet connection. Fedora doesn't seem to find my modem, and it just makes up a "standard" modem which doesn't work when connecting to the net.

Does anyone here know how to make my modem work? I have a Creative Modem Blaster v.92 PCI . I have heard that sometimes it is hard to make modems work in Linux? But since people have used to Linux for ages, I guess someone of them have been on the net? .

I have 2 network cards on my machine, which seems to work fine if that does matter something.

Well I preciate some help here, and thanks in advance.

Tommy

Just Joined!
    I'm also a newbie when it comes to Linux, but yeah Linux has trouble with a lot of Win modems

creative modem are WINmodem!

Greetings there,

the link is here for ess modems..
    http://wettstein.homelinux.org/ess/

for beginging from the very scratch, check out linmodems.org.

linux does have troubles but with closed standards, anyways you might find a generic driver for your modem.
    i have a Creative Modem Blaster V.90 PCI DI5655. it did not work with fedora! i tried a lot to find drivers for this modem . i did find one but that was for kernel 2.2 i don remember whether it worked successfully with kernel 2.4.

hope that helps.

regards,
    rohit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That's true Benny 8909.

Thanks for the info rohitsz, I will try it out and hopefully I will find a solution for my (and maybe other people's) problem.

Tommy

Just Joined!
    I have made the ModemData text file, and I have tried to send it to discuss@linmodems.org 4 times...but it has rejected all times. And there is a different error every time, and last time my mail had bounced back to me because og invalid e-mail address.

I have tried to search elsewhere for answer to my problem, but with no answer. Well not an answer that can help me out. It seems like I have to make my "WinModem" to a LinModem, but I don't know what to install/fix.

Is there anyone else that can help me? My modem is listed earlier in this topic, and if it is wishable I can share the ModemData info file with the person who can help me. I just wanted to learn to use linux

Tommy