Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have this Sitecom 30gb media drive, i.e. a harddisk with two slots for some 8types of flash cards. I am using Suse9.0. If I plug it in & turn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mounting usb HD/cardreader

I have this Sitecom 30gb media drive, i.e. a harddisk with two slots for some 8types of flash cards. I am using Suse9.0.

If I plug it in & turn it on, /etc/fstab gets 4 extra lines [see below]. I understand two of them should be flashcard-positions and a third the HD itself, so the fourth beats me.

I'd expect I should just mount /media/sda1 or something?
    This command is accepted, and on the desktop 4 icons appear, but nothing more happens.
    Same if you click any of the 4 icons: it starts `mounting', officially, but nothing more seems to happen for the first hour or so. Any suggestions? What fails, what remedy? Give up?

------------
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3
    /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3
    /dev/sda3 /media/sda3 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3
    /dev/sda4 /media/sda4 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3

----------------

Michel

Linux Engineer

Re: mounting usb HD/cardreader

Quote Originally Posted by mchell
    Same if you click any of the 4 icons: it starts `mounting', officially, but nothing more seems to happen for the first hour or so.
    /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3
    /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3
    /dev/sda3 /media/sda3 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3
    /dev/sda4 /media/sda4 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.ILAptUUST_3
    You've waited an hour?

Since Im not very fond of Hotplug, (even on windows I dont trust it, I do things manually I know they are done properly) Have you tryed to manually mount the device?

Whats the output of this command
    Code:
    fdisk -l (FDISK -L)
    This will give you all devices (partition) connected to your box... In other word, if you cannot see any of those disk, nothing is detected. If you see 4 devices, ( as listed above ) then 4 are detected...

If I plug it in & turn it on, /etc/fstab gets 4 extra lines [see below]. I understand two of them should be flashcard-positions and a third the HD itself, so the fourth beats me.
    Is the 30Gb partitionned in two? that would explain

Also, your fstab entry dont really seems to be valid... As your HD is a separate device, it should be under (ex sda, and your Flash should be under another device like (ex sdb....

Personally, I'dd remove all media and get them working one by one separatly... Start with the HD. then one flash and the other...

Tell us if you need more information regarding this issue
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    McHellix:/home/mickel # fdisk -l
    Hi ---

I'm sorry I didn't get back on this before. I forgot to check the `notify me' box.
    Well I did actually wait about half an hour --- I've other things to do than to watch a `quick backup solution' mount . The output is of the thing *without* any media present... The disk is not partitioned [as seen on a MacOS X machine], so the fourth place is a mistery to be.

The output of fdisk -l is `command not found'. Hm... but `man fdisk' gives output.. AH! `su' first. Well, then I get [as new entries when I boot the external harddisk]:

==================

Disk /dev/sda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
    64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 28615 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 ? 379950 937327 570754815+ 72 Unknown
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 ? 82368 1027695 968014120 65 Novell Netware 386
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda3 ? 913029 1858355 968014096 79 Unknown
    Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda4 ? 1409025 1409052 27749+ d Unknown
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

=============

I basically am quite a newbie, so if I see anything I plug in appear in /etc/fstab, I shout `mount ....' at it and up to now it always went fine. I have no clue what to dislike about hotplug... or like about other things.

All the best,
    Michel

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close