Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It's been a few years since I've owned an Injet printer and now that I'm getting bored of my black & white laser I think it may be time to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Printer advice

It's been a few years since I've owned an Injet printer and now that I'm getting bored of my black & white laser I think it may be time to invest in one.

I've seen a couple that I would like but I'm unsure which one to go for. According to linuxprinting.org both are compatible. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Choices are:

HP 5740 ( http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...1-5749265.html)

Epson c86 (http://www.epson.co.uk/products/inkj...Stylus_C86.htm)

oh and I like the CANON iP2000 but can't find an entry for it on linuxprinting.org so I assume it wont work.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

HP is the most supported under Linux, Epson never last very long, and my choice has been and always will be Canon.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Linux Newbie
    Really I think it would be your cup of tea. I will always stick w/HP. Now I can't say much of Epson because they are the only brand printer I have not used. Back when I sold them it would seem Epson has to many problems and don't last very long. I have had my HP for four years and its still kickn' strong.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I haven't had too much luck getting anything more then paper out of my Canon i850. I've heard rummors that there's Japanese drivers that will allow me to do the borderless 4x6 photo printing that I bought it for, but I never got them to work correctly. I've also been told that TurboPrint supports the photo option, but not the borderless that I want.

Color pages have another odd quirk about them. Everything is off by just a hint. For example, blue prints more of a purple color, pink more a red, yellow more of a dark yellow/greenish, etc...

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Guru
    **topic moved to Peripherals / Hardware.

Just Joined!

HP or Epson ikjet printer?

Someone asked which printer he should buy: the Epson or the HP? I would like to inform you about this site : www.printeradvice.com. This site has developed a printer cost calculator. Your HP and Epson printer typ are supported by this site. You can easily calculate the costs of both printers (including ink costs!!!). Both brands have a good image and a purchase based on some experiences of other users is very subjective. Costs are objective so it could help you to make the best choice. Besides, it's free!

Greetings

Roytje

heh i just use HP printers...it is just like plug and play to me takes 2 minutes max to get working in CUPS
    HP's are by far the easiest to setup in linux

though i have this canon here in pieces that i should prob throw away again soon (didnt fly like my bud said it would)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Guru
    I recently acquired one HP and one Epson color inkjet printer. A fundamental difference between the two is in the cartrige: in Epson, the "jet" is part of the printer, while in HP, the "jet" is in the cartrige. Any ink-jet should be exercised at least once a week to keep the jets clear. If they do clog, getting them back to original can be difficult, except in the case of HP: you just buy a new cartrige. Both of my printers were well used when I got them, so I did a partial disassembly for cleaning and lube. The HP seems to be a more "elegant" design so I was able to clean it completely and it was easier to check out during re-assembly. Like zeeone said, the HP is better supported in Linux: HP has open-sourced their drivers. One thing I like about the layout of the HP is its front input-front output design. I don't like to waste paper, so I print stuff double-sided and this design feature really makes that easier. But the number one reason that I plan to give the Epson to my brother and keep the HP: the noise. When the Epson is started, it goes through about 2 minutes of a really annoying cleaning cycle. When the HP is turned on, not a sound. For more useful details about ink-jet printers, check out http://www.maxpatchink.com/index.shtml
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

Thank you

I am a newbie to Linux and was desparate to install a printer but I could not get my Lexmark Z601 to work. After searching I found this posting and must thank you all, especially Drakemaster

As I do not use a printer every day nowadays the advice was good so I popped down to Tesco's and treated myself to all-in-1 HP printer/scanner/digital camera port for just 99! :o (and I get loyalty points and coupons for school computers)

I unpacked it put the inks in, did the alignment check plugged into the USB and immediately Suse detected it guided me through the driver installation and within 5 minutes of unpacking it I had printed out a test page, who's a happy bunny, or banana?

Thanks again Drakemaster, any ideas if it is possible to get a Lexmark Z601 to work on Linux as I am setting an old PC up on Linux for my brother?

Linux Guru
    That's drakeBASHER, answerlady!

Just kidding!

Sometimes I get lucky. I'm glad I could help. I don't know printers in general, but I can Google. It looks like Lexmark has historically resisted the Linux legions, but maybe that is changing. Check out these two links that point to linux drivers for a compatible Lexmark model and some guidance on what to do with it. They refer to Debian Linux which is somewhat different from the more common Linux "flavors", so there could be some differences. But the links look promising:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/piperma...q2/002563.html

http://www.linuxprinting.org/piperma...q2/002550.html
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast