Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to mount my Sandiskk pendrive in Mandrake 10.1 and so far it is not working. I have googled the topic and it seems that some drives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mounting USB Pen Drive in Mandrake 10.1

Hi,
    I am trying to mount my Sandiskk pendrive in Mandrake 10.1 and so far it is not working. I have googled the topic and it seems that some drives just don't work. I was wonderin if it was a problem with my fstab or mtab files. Mandrakes "Storage Devices" applet detects a usb drive on /proc/bus/usb, but how do I mount it?

my mtab file contains the following line, is it right?
    none /proc/bus/usb fat rw 0 0

and my fstab file contains
    /proc/bus/usb

Also I have noticed that other posts are talking about someting called /dev/sda, however I have no such thing in my /dev directory.

Thanks in advance.
    AlexK

Linux Engineer
    Hi

run this command
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    FDISK -L gives you all active partition that are curently "on" if you see your USB device its a good sign. You will then be able to determine the location of the device

dev/sda, dev/sdb, dev/scsi... depens on many factor...
    from there, you will be able to mount it with the proper command...

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/pendrive
    mount /dev/<device> /mnt/pendrive
    For more information about mounting USB flash drive please have a look at this tutorial
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

The output from the fdisk -l command is as follows with the usb drive plugged in:

[root@Mercury /]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30020272128 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3649 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 2354 18908473+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 2355 3649 10402087+ 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 2355 3066 5719108+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 3067 3129 506016 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda7 3130 3649 4176868+ 83 Linux

However I noticed that, if the usb drive is plugged in when linux boots up, I can mount it and view files on the drive. When this happens, there exists the /dev/sda1 and also /mnt/removeable dorectories. And there are enteries in mtab and fstab pointing to /dev/sda1.

But if i choose to log out and re-login then the usb drive is no longer detected. There is no entry for the drive in fstab or mtab and /dev/sda no longer exists.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Pendisk & Mdke 10.x

Alex,
    I just posted something that you might fing useful:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-39805.html.

For your benefit, it states:

Until a short while ago, I had a similar problem for accessing a Pendisk, when I upgraded from Mdke 9.2 to Mdke 10.x.
    I still had no oportunity to find out the technical explanations, but my problem disappeared when I stopped insisting on mounting /dev/sdaX and started mount directly /dev/sda!
    Now everything works fine, both with Mdke Supermount and with normal mounting. Note that the kernel version I am using is 2.6.
    You could try something similar. As you seem to have more USB devices, try in succession /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc...