Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am a brand new user of Linux (Fedora) and apparently I've already screwed something up. I wanted a higher resolution, so like an idiot, I changed it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stupid Newbie Tricks

Hello all,

I am a brand new user of Linux (Fedora) and apparently I've already screwed something up. I wanted a higher resolution, so like an idiot, I changed it to 1400x1050. Now, when the GUI tries to start, I get a really tiny, fuzzy and unreadable picture. It's like a static-y TV, only colored.

It said something before I logged back in about a backup file being at
    /etc/x11/xorg.conf.backup

Now, as stated before I am a newb, so if someone could please talk me through getting my normal 1024x768 back, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

TIA

Just Joined!
    Never mind. I fixed it, the ghetto way... just messed with my monitor settings until I could see through the blur enough to change it back and log out again.

But this would be interesting to know how to fix the "proper" way, for future reference, so if someone's bored and wants to tell me, then go for it

Linux Newbie
    All you had to do was to boot with a live-linux CD distro (Knoppix,Slax,Ubuntu) and rename xorg.conf.backup to xorg.conf like this:
    Code:
    mv xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf
    and the reboot.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ah, OK... That makes sense. Like I said, I'm new to all this, and I'm still learning. But thanks for the help!

Linux Engineer
    No need to use the live cd, just boot to text mode and do it.