Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I was wondering what possibility there might be for a cool guy like me, running Fedora Core 1 on an IBM Thinkpad R40, being able to play Region 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Regional freedom

Hi. I was wondering what possibility there might be for a cool guy like me, running Fedora Core 1 on an IBM Thinkpad R40, being able to play Region 2 DVDs. Can I just go into some settings thing somewhere and switch regions, or am I gonna have to download some software to do it properly?

Keep in mind that I haven't actually tried playing any Region 2 DVDs yet, as I don't have any. But I am interested in picking up a copy of the English sit-com Spaced, and would like to know if this is even possible before I spend my money. Thanks.

Some DVD players (and I *assume* DVD-ROM drives as well) give you the ability to change regions, however usually you can only do it a set number of times.

I've been told that Region 0 players will play any region, so if you could swap your drive's region, that would give you the ability to play them on your lappie.

I don't know if there's a software mechanism to decode that, but in general to play DVDs in Linux you're going to need something like libdvdcss. It's a legally gray area though.. so I won't pursue that any further.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well, I'm already quite well acquainted with libdvdcss (wink wink, nudge nudge, say n'more), and am capable of playing DVD on my laptop. Where would I hypothetically go from there?

How does one swap regions?

Usually it's an option available from your DVD drive's vendor, involving some sort of remote control aerobics (for DVD players) or a firmware update (for drives).. I'd start by figuring out what drive your lappie has (model, serial number) and doing a google search for firmware updates.

"Does your computer like... games? Wink, wink, nudge nudge..."
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yes, I'd say it does...

As far as I know, with the mentioned lib. you can play dvd from any region. My dvd's are all region 2, as I'm from europe, but once I borrowed a dvd that was region 1. It didn't run in windows (it gave me the choice of switching regions on my dvd drive, which you can only do like 5 times). I booted into linux and the dvd worked fine I think I used Xine (with Kaffeine) but Mplayer should work as well.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Really? Sweet. No problem, then.