Find the answer to your Linux question:
Whenever I play DVDs on my Laptop, I get this really loud spinning noise coming from the drive (similar to the sound you hear when the disc first mounts). This ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Loud DVD Drive

Whenever I play DVDs on my Laptop, I get this really loud spinning noise coming from the drive (similar to the sound you hear when the disc first mounts). This goes on contimuously for as long as the movie is playing, and it never used to happen with Windows. Is there any way to make it calm down, or do I just have to live with it?

Linux Guru
    On some laptop's (my IBM T30 has this) you can enter your bios before startup and force your drive to run at a slightly slower speed which i find causes significant noise reduction.

Just Joined!
    I can get into BIOS on startup with no problem, but I can;t see anything that would let me change my drive speed. Can you give me directions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    ..not all BIO's have the feature, and those makes/model's that do may not have it in the same place. You could try looking for any bio's documentation for your PC on the internet.