Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm a linux n00b so please be gentle... Due to limited space, i use a KVM switch to share my monitor between my w*ndows box and my linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KVM switch causing problems

Hi all,

I'm a linux n00b so please be gentle...

Due to limited space, i use a KVM switch to share my monitor between my w*ndows box and my linux box, but it seems to be causing problems with the mouse in linux. If I switch from my linux box to my windows box, then back again, the mouse starts going crazy, jumping to random points on the screen when moved, opening / closing windows itself etc. It doesnt do this in Windows, only in Linux. The mouse then stays like this until i reboot.

I am using the Mandrake 10.1 distro with KDE, and have set up the mouse as a PS2 wheel mouse. The KVM switch is a Belkin E-series, and my mouse is a Logitech MX700.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ta,

El Saxo

This happens with hot-swapping PS/2 in Linux. PS/2 is not a hotswappable plug by nature. I've seen this happen on a laptop before, but unfortunately I haven't researched a resolution.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.

I've done some searching myself and the only solution I can find (including from Belkin themselves, see PDF manual here) is to unplug the mouse from the switch, and plug back in after 2 or 3 secs. While this works, it kind of renders the KVM switch redundant, i might as well swap the mouse cable from one PC to another each time!

Guess I'll buy a cheap 2nd mouse and just use the switch for video & keyboard...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have the same problem with a different KVM, things I can do to stop it and work around it are:

Boot the linux box first, and not use hot-keys (Scroll Lock, Scroll Lock, Arrow)

The other is to use SSH, and get an SSH client for your windows box that supports X (works really well with Mac).

I will find my link and post it if you are interested.

Linux Guru
    I had problems like that until I got one of those adapters (PS/2 > USB) for the Linux end.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude