Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dual Monitor won't work.. I'm a n00b to Linux so I have no clue where to start troubleshooting....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Radeon 9800 Pro

Dual Monitor won't work..

I'm a n00b to Linux so I have no clue where to start troubleshooting.

Linux Enthusiast
    ok, I need a lot of information here, so bear with me. First, is the card a dual head card, i.e. has to VGA ports on it, or are you using to seperate video cards. Secondly, please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and thirdly, what exactly doesn't work, I mean, does one monitor work, does nothing happen, what's up. Please include as much information as possible in your next post.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smindinvern
    ok, I need a lot of information here, so bear with me. First, is the card a dual head card, i.e. has to VGA ports on it, or are you using to seperate video cards. Secondly, please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and thirdly, what exactly doesn't work, I mean, does one monitor work, does nothing happen, what's up. Please include as much information as possible in your next post.
    Ok..

AMD 64 3200+
    Asus K8N-E Deluxe
    128MB Radeon 9800 Pro
    SB Audigy2 ZS Gamer
    80gb Seagate SATA
    60gb Western Digital IDE UltraDMA
    1Gig PDP Systems PC3200

Dual ports in back for monitors.

Situation is exactly as follows.

When I goto display properties, it says my monitor is selected as Generic CRT (because Compaq FS740 isnt listed in the choices) and it says my Video Adapter is ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Then when I click the third tab, where you can choose to use dual heads, I click that box. I select Generic LCD and the proper size because the Dell monitor isnt in the selection either, and then video adapter it won't let me change from ATI Radeon 9800 to 9800 pro, I don't know why, but it won't let me. I click OK after setting everything that I can, and it just sits there.. no 2nd monitor, no closed window.. nothing, sits there. I click the X or cancel, of course it doesn't save the options.

I'm at a loss for words, I'll check that conf file you suggested and post that soon.

Linux Newbie

Drivers

Go 2 the ati website, and grab urself the propietry drivers for ur card 4 Linux. This should work but I dnt hav the card so I cant test. By the way, make sure you get the one for 64bit processors. Please tell me if this works as I have several people asking me the same question.

Just Joined!

Re: Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by alancooney
    Go 2 the ati website, and grab urself the propietry drivers for you card 4 Linux. This should work but I dnt hav the card so I cant test. By the way, make sure you get the one for 64bit processors. Please tell me if this works as I have several people asking me the same question.
    I have the drivers from ATI for the 64-bit processors. Didn't work..

Linux Newbie
    In that case, email or ring up ATI for support with their drivers, as they legally have to give you this unless you have bought an OEM version.