Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi every body i installed linux mandrake 10.0 with kde environnement inthe desktop i can see all my hardware :cd,cd burner,floppy disk... my problem is that when i put a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

my cd where it is??

Hi every body
    i installed linux mandrake 10.0 with kde environnement
    inthe desktop i can see all my hardware :cd,cd burner,floppy disk...
    my problem is that when i put a cd and kick twice on the cd player ther is nothing!!!!!! Even when the cd contains mp3 or word document.ti is as if there has not a cd.
    i don't understand the problem all my drivers are installed.
    But when i put an audio cd it works
    plz help!!!!!

You have to mount it. Right click and select mount. If you are looking for an autorun feature, it doesn't exist yet.

Just Joined!

thnak's man

thank's man for the tip.
    but could u please b more explicit.. by details plz
    :o

You can do this several ways, but because I'm a console cowboy, I'll show you mine. Open up a program called Konsole from your KDE programs menu, I think under "System". This will give you a command-line that looks similar to MS-DOS (if you've ever used it in MS Windows).

STEP 1: At the prompt, type this:

Code:
    su
    Then hit enter. It will ask you for your root (administrator) password. Type it in (note that you won't see any feedback like *****, that's normal). Then hit enter. You're now logged in as root user. Be *VERY* careful when you're in this mode because your system won't ask questions if you tell it to go jump off a cliff and erase itself.

STEP 2:Now type:

Code:
    cd /mnt
    mount cdrom
    Note that's two commands. Enter one, then the other. Then type exit. Your CDROM should now be mounted. You won't be able to eject your CDROM tray while it's mounted, so when you're done you'll want to unmount it by doing the same as the above except you'll replace mount cdrom with umount cdrom.

Some systems let regular users mount/umount drives so I'd recommend you try Step 2 first, and if you get an error saying "Only root can do this" then start with Step 1.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants