Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got the latest version of Ubuntu and a SunDisk Cruzer Mini 1GB. The usb memory stick doesn't work becouse there isn't the sda1 device. On my laptop I've got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB MEMORY STICK doesn't work on Ubuntu

I've got the latest version of Ubuntu and a SunDisk Cruzer Mini 1GB. The usb memory stick doesn't work becouse there isn't the sda1 device.
    On my laptop I've got Debian Sarge and it works.
    Can someone helps me?
    Thanks

Gioyellow

Hi gloyellow,
    What you should do is, plug the memory stick in before the system loads. while it is loading, the system will creaete the sda1 file. I also have the same problem with the same stick.

Then you can mount it.

Just Joined!
    It doesn't work.

Gioyellow

gioyellow, have you tried sda*, sdb*, sdc*, replacing the * with a number between 0 and 9?

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Check the /dev directory for any reference to sda*, sdb* etc. Also make sure that the /etc/fstab file has a line similar to this before trying to mount the stick:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

then simply type mount /mnt/removeable assuming that you have a /mnt/removeable directory.

Also try the lsmod command to see if the scsi modules are loaded along with any usb_storage modules.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Memory Stick on Sony Vaio

I went through all this on my Vaio laptop. Never could get the memory stick to work. In reading some of the other forums, I believe this is a proprietary Sony thing. I solved my problem by spending $15 at Office Depot. The SanDisk Mobile Mate MS+ is recognized instantly by Ubuntu and works great with F-Spot and Picasa.