Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
even using red hat's CD for recovery mode, I constantly am warned about a mounted volume. So how do you check the root volume via having it not mount in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

feel stupid

even using red hat's CD for recovery mode, I constantly am warned about a mounted volume.

So how do you check the root volume via having it not mount in the first place ?

Linux Guru
    I don't know how Red Hat 8 may be different from Fedora Core 3. For me, fdisk -v will return the version of fdisk. If I run fdisk /dev/hda and then select v for verify, I get:
    Code:
    Command (m for help): v
    6109 unallocated sectors
    And when I run fsck -N /dev/hda5 where "-N Donít execute, just show what would be done." and hda5 is my / directory, presently mounted, I get
    Code:
    # fsck -N /dev/hda5
    fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
    [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 /dev/hda5
    Nothing about status of the filesystem, but then I know it's "clean". So I'm a little confused. In any case, if I had 3% non-contiguous, I don't think I'd give it a thought, as long as it didn't grow uncontrollably and as long as there were no other possibly related problems. Sorry.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

makes sense

In every version of linux and every system (all 4) I get some contiguous errors in the boot partician.

As far as testing I use

fsck /dev/hdax (where x is the partician number) and always get that warning.

However the contiguous blocks never grow. I use fdisk to get that error.

fdisk /dev/hda

v - for verify

that's where I get that error. I am not going to worry about it though!

Thanks...

p.s. it's a minor thing but the ethernet card seems to always boot up inactive. I simply reactivate when logged in but how do I make it a permanent thing.

This is also true for mounting extra particians. I always have to mount them manually when I log in.

Thanks... and with that I think I'm ready to roll!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru

Re: makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by davecgs
    p.s. it's a minor thing but the ethernet card seems to always boot up inactive. I simply reactivate when logged in but how do I make it a permanent thing.

This is also true for mounting extra particians. I always have to mount them manually when I log in.
    I'm still working on figuring out the details of networking. But as to your extra partitions, you should only need to add them to your file /etc/fstab. Following for example are a couple of partitons from two of my fstabs. The first mounts during boot ("defaults") and the second one is mounted manually ("noauto"). For more details, read the manual pages for the 'mount' command (at the command prompt, run: man mount)

Code:
    /dev/hda2               /home/sfg/Reference     auto    defaults        1 1
    /dev/sdb1               /mnt/tmp                ext3    noauto,users    1 2
    If you want a partiton to mount pretty much the same as one already in your system and working the way you like, just copy the line from the one that works and edit it, but don't forget to double-check each entry.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

thanks

fstab. Will do!

Just Joined!

thanks

fstab worked beautifully and I thank you for the tip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2