Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm having trouble with my two SATA disks in my computer. It has two Western Digital Caviar SATA HDDs (WD2500JD) 250GB. I've partitioned the drives so that one of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cant find my WD Caviar SATAs

Hi,
    I'm having trouble with my two SATA disks in my computer. It has two Western Digital Caviar SATA HDDs (WD2500JD) 250GB. I've partitioned the drives so that one of them contains a 40GB ext3 -partition.
    My problem is that I'm unable to both mount and partition the drives. I can't figure out why. When I do 'fdisk /dev/sda' i get:
    Code:
    Unable to open /dev/sda
    So in my frustration I tried to fdisk /dev/sda - /dev/sdd and /dev/hda - /dev/hdd on DSL, Gentoo 2004.3 LiveCD, Slackware 10.0 installation-CD and Fedora Core 3 Installation DVD. But I still can't find my HDDs.

What return do you get from
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    ?

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Sorry, forgot to mention that I've done that. As normal user:
    Code:
    Cannot open /dev/sda
    And as root nothing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I can remember a while ago that I had a similar problem with Dell when they started to deliver SATA hard drives as well.
    At that point, the only distro I was able to get working on those where Suse Enterprise (can't remember which version though).

Since that time, I know that we updated the Bios and after that I was able to install other distros as well.

Might not be your solution, but if you have Suse 9.2 or a new Suse Ent, just give it a shoot to see if you can access the hard drives.