Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by tiger25pt I've seen two GeForce 5200 cards... one manuctured by Chaintech and the other by eVga. Are these the same ??? Does anybody know the difference??? Should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger25pt
    I've seen two GeForce 5200 cards... one manuctured by Chaintech and the other by eVga. Are these the same ??? Does anybody know the difference??? Should I stick with nVidia as a manufacturer???
    Video cards are usually manufactured by a company other than the one that makes the chip. Nvidia makes graphics processors and sends companies like Chaintech, eVGA, or Leadtek a "reference board" that shows how to assemble it. The company then takes Nvidia's chip, puts it on their own silicon board, packages it however they like, and sells it with their own bundle of software.

Often companies will manufacture cards from competing chip manufacturers (such as Leadtek's ATI cards or Leadtek's Nvidia cards). The quality of the graphics processing chip (GPU) is the same, but the quality of the manufactured card differs greatly depending on the company.

An example would be eVGA versus lesser-known Apollo. I bought 2 identical chipsets (Geforce FX5700XT) from either vendor. The Apollo broke and decided to continuously reboot my machine, whereas the eVGA is still running a year later.

I've had good luck with Leadtek's Nvidia-based cards as well. Just my 2 cents.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    OK that helps a lot. It looks like I will have to take my best shot and hope for the best..

I'll look at Leadtek and eVGA.

Just Joined!
    I bought my nVidia video board, aGeForce 5200 FX and I read the description of how to install the drivers using YUM... however, I am unfamiliar with YUM and it's use. Do I need to be connected to the internet for YUM to work??? (Where can I find out about YUM and it's workings???)

If so my system connects (I hope) to the internet via an Ethernet card wired to a US Robotics router which is wired to a broadband modem which is connected to the internet. Using that setup do I also have to have drivers loaded for the router and/or the broadband modem to access the Inet to get the YUM files???

Again I say I am just getting started and any information you can give me is very helpful. Thanks in advance.

I think you go to a terminal, and
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    yum install <package>
    But you might have to set up the yum reposatries beforehand as it says here.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    OK I'll try downloading to my Win XP machine and try to get them into my Linux machine and try YUM.

I'd still like an explanation of how to use YUM.

Yum will not work if you do not have an internet connection

it is like debian's apt-get, it installes the program you want to install, and also any dependancies that it needs, thia way you don't get into dependancy hell.

I think you will have to download the file from someware, and then install it vai hand, and if the install brings up any dependancy errors you will have to resolve them by your self, by downloading the dependancy.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Evidently I am connected to the Inet via my US Robotics router. When I tried the web broser IT WORKED!!! So, I guess I can DL and install, hopefully in one go.

Now all I need are the step by step commands to run the nvidia files... oh yeah, and the board being sent to me!!! I am currently using the video card integrated with the motherboard...an i810 chipset. It doesn't work very well and I don't know how to get the proper Linux files for that chipset. That's why I bought a nvidia card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2