Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Fedora 3 on an old computer using an ASUS motherboard with an integrated i810 chipset video, but, it doesn't work very well. The Gnome windows do really wird ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need a cheap/good PCI video card recommendation

I installed Fedora 3 on an old computer using an ASUS motherboard with an integrated i810 chipset video, but, it doesn't work very well. The Gnome windows do really wird stuff. The mouse makes the windows change shape instead of moving. I think I need a new video card. I only have PCI slots, no AGP. Does anyone have a recommendation for a PCI slot video card and/or any recommendations on what to stay away from???

Linux Guru
    Get a cheap nVidia.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Are the drivers for the nVidea built into the kernal or will I need some other drivers???

I was thinking about the nVidea GeForce 5200. Any comments???

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    It's a damn fine card!! I have the 5500fx. The dirvers aren't biult in unless you purchased a copy of linux. They're realy easy to install, though. There's tuts all over lfo.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

There are nvidia drivers built into the kernel. However, there is extra work to be done if you want to enable 3D hardware acceleration.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I think the GeForce 5200 is what I'll get... that said... is there a tutorial or a step-by-step instruction on how to install what is needed for the card???

I just installed Fedora 3 and I'm really new ti it, so, be gentle!!

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Boy Howdy... that was fast!!!!

Just Joined!
    I've seen two GeForce 5200 cards... one manuctured by Chaintech and the other by eVga. Are these the same ??? Does anybody know the difference??? Should I stick with nVidia as a manufacturer???

If the model is the same (5200) then they should basically be the same (discounting perhaps slight differences in memory speed, etc.). Some people prefer certain brands (I'm an Asus guy myself) but the chipset should be the same.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast