Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey I was wondering if there was anyway to change the hardware on an older mainboard without a cmos battery....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

cmos

Hey I was wondering if there was anyway to change the hardware on an older mainboard without a cmos battery.

I'm not sure what you mean by "change the hardware". If you want your motherboard to function correctly and change settings, though, you should replace the battery.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Change the hdd, cd-rom drive....etc.

And I can't change the battery because it never had one. So what do I do?

cmos batteries are usually cheap watch batteries (PS2 6v from your local drugstore is the most common). You can theoretically manipulate the hardware around the motherboard as much as you like, since hard drives, etc. aren't integrated into the board but are instead connected by lengths of cable.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

And how do I put it onto the board?

There should be an empty round space that's the size of the watch battery. Just place the watch battery in the hole with the side with writing on it facing you.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

there isn't. its a pretty old mainboard. 1995. Now what?

What's the make and model? It may still run, but it won't keep settings when it's turned off.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Enthusiast
    If it's an older board like you say, it may have a whole battery pack thingy, it's just a black box looking thingy that's attached to the mobo with two wires, check to see if you have something like that, and you should be able to change the hardware, it won't affect linux, it just won't keep the settings when it's turned off, not a big deal, but annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    What's the make and model? It may still run, but it won't keep settings when it's turned off.
    Its a Shuttle hot 555 version 1.4

I didn't find anything connected to 2 wires. The closest I got was a half circular thing thats connected to 3 wires

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast