Find the answer to your Linux question:
Fellow Linux-goers, I have recently switched distros from Knoppix to Slackware. I'm very happy with my switch; everything has gone smoothly so far, except for one thing: No sound. I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound card trouble in VectorLinux (Slackware-based)

Fellow Linux-goers,
    I have recently switched distros from Knoppix to Slackware. I'm very happy with my switch; everything has gone smoothly so far, except for one thing:
    No sound.
    I've tried a bit, looked around the internet, ran sndconfig and such, but to no avail. So I come to you fine people at LinuxForums. Now, I know there is a "Crystal WMD Audio Codec" driver out there somewhere for Linux, because my sound works just fine when I run knoppix (live-cd),
    Is there any way to find my driver browsing files on my knoppix live-cd and actually recognise it? If not, does anyone know where one could find this linux driver? Please feel free to make any suggestions, even if you think I may have tried them already.

Thank you,
    Alexander

Try running from the command line as root...
    Code:
    alsaconf
    ...and follow the on screen directions. If alsa isn't installed, I'm sure you can find the necessary files at Linux Packages, or you could install it via slapt-get...
    Code:
    slapt-get --install alsa-driver alsa-utils alsa-lib
    ...and there are a few others. Do:
    Code:
    slapt-get --search alsa
    to find them.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!