Find the answer to your Linux question:
Updated i am trying to install my video card, ASUS radeon 9550 onto my computer. found this useful site http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.sta...er.html#kernel but when i do fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-l-386" --added-modules fglrx-kernel-src ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

video card installation

Updated

i am trying to install my video card, ASUS radeon 9550 onto my computer. found this useful site
    http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.sta...er.html#kernel
    but when i do fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-l-386" --added-modules fglrx-kernel-src modules_image i get an error message....

Code:
    root@faner:/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11# fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-l-i386" --added-modules fglrx-kernel-src modules_image
    We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
    tree. However, there are kernel headers that may be suitable to build
    external kernel modules. Since you do not have non-module targets, let
    us continue.
    Warning: The file include/linux/version.h exists
    The contained UTS_VERSION string:
                            "2.6.11"
    does not match expectations:
                            "2.6.11-l-i386"
    I'll try and recover
    /bin/sh: /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11/scripts/gcc-version.sh: No such file or directory
    /bin/sh: /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11/scripts/gcc-version.sh: No such file or directory
    You should invoke this command from the top level directory of
    a linux kernel source directory tree, and as far as I can tell,
    the current directory:
            /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11
    is not a top level linux kernel source directory.

(If I am wrong then kernel-packages and the linux kernel
             are so out sync that you'd better get the latest versions
             of the kernel-package package and the Linux sources)

Please change directory to wherever linux kernel sources
    reside and try again.
    for module in /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src ; do                       \
              if test -d  $module; then                                \
        (cd $module;                                          \
                  if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.11" KSRC="/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11" \
                                 KMAINT="Klaus Knopper" KEMAIL="knoppix@knopper.net"      \
                                 KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11/.."       \
                                 KPKG_MAINTAINER="Klaus Knopper"        \
                                 KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG="EXTRAVERSION=-l-i386"        \
                                 ARCH="i386"                  \
                                 KDREV="10.00.Custom" kdist_image; then    \
                      echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
                  else                                                  \
                       echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                       if [ "X" != "X" ]; then      \
                          echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?";  \
                          echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not"; \
                          echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug ";  \
                          echo "against $module.";                     \
                       fi;                                              \
                       echo "Hit return to Continue";                   \
             read ans;                                        \
                  fi;                                                   \
         );                                                    \
      fi;                                                      \
            done
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src'
    dh_testdir
    /usr/bin/make -C /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11 SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11'
    make[3]: scripts/Makefile.build: No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/Makefile.build'.  Stop.
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.11'
    make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src'
    Module /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src failed.
    Hit return to Continue

Linux Newbie
    The error pretty much tells you how to fix the problem -- it just needs the kernel source. Since you didn't tell us the distro, etc you are using, I can't guess on the appropriate way to install it for your system. Personally, I build my boxes from source, so I'd just download the proper kernel package from www.kernel.org and unpack to /usr/src, but you should use whatever package management system your distro employs to do that.
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

Linux Newbie
    Good Luck, Linux hates ati cards due to ****** drivers.
    Ma homeboy is Jesus himself.

If you are indeed using Knoppix, like it says under your avatar, fire up synaptic and do a search for kernel-source. Select the one that matches your kernel, and you'll be off and running. To find out your kernel version, open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    uname -r
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    If you are indeed using Knoppix, like it says under your avatar, fire up synaptic and do a search for kernel-source. Select the one that matches your kernel, and you'll be off and running. To find out your kernel version, open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    uname -r
    yes i am running knoppix 3.8, using 2.6.11 kernel and i386 arch. the closest kernel source i can find using synaptic is 2.6.10 when i search for kernel-source. where would i get my kernel-source and how would i install it(if it weren't through synaptic)? i tried www.kernel.org but how and which package would i use? or how would i find it through synaptic(i tried reloading the list)?

You could go to ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ and download the tar package that matches your kernel version, then extract it into the /usr/src directory. You should probably modify the symlink in that directory named linux to point to your new kernel source directory (if that symlink doesn't exist, create it).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Updated

well i cd'ed into the linux-2.6.11 directory and ran the line again, i did create a symlink using
    Code:
     ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.x.y /usr/src/linux
    i got passed the beginning and went through a seriously long set of questions and after them i got this

Code:
    :/usr/src/linux-2.6.11$ sudo fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-l-386" --added-modules fglrx-kernel-src modules_image
    Warning: The file include/linux/version.h exists
    The contained UTS_VERSION string:
                            "2.6.11-l-386y"
    does not match expectations:
                            "2.6.11-l-386"
    I'll try and recover
    Please ignore the warning about overriding and ignoring targets above.
    These are harmless. They are only invoked in a part of the process
    that tries to snarf variable values for the conf.vars file.
    echo done >  stamp-configure
    for module in /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src ; do                       \
              if test -d  $module; then                                \
        (cd $module;                                          \
                  if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.11-l-386" KSRC="/usr/src/linux-2.6.11" \
                                 KMAINT="Klaus Knopper" KEMAIL="knoppix@knopper.net"      \
                                 KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/linux-2.6.11/.."       \
                                 KPKG_MAINTAINER="Klaus Knopper"        \
                                 KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG="EXTRAVERSION=-l-386"        \
                                 ARCH="i386"                  \
                                 KDREV="10.00.Custom" kdist_image; then    \
                      echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
                  else                                                  \
                       echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                       if [ "X" != "X" ]; then      \
                          echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?";  \
                          echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not";\
                          echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug ";\
                          echo "against $module.";                     \
                       fi;                                              \
                       echo "Hit return to Continue";                   \
             read ans;                                        \
                  fi;                                                   \
         );                                                    \
      fi;                                                      \
            done
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src'
    dh_testdir
    /usr/bin/make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.11 SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.o
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_putminor':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:509: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:578)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:511: warning: `inter_module_unregister' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:574)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_register':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:531: warning: `inter_module_register' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:573)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:562: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:578)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_get_vm_phys_addr':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:1673: warning: passing arg 1of `pmd_offset' from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `do_vm_shm_nopage':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:2203: warning: passing arg 1of `pmd_offset' from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_vm_phys_addr_str':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:2573: warning: passing arg 1of `pmd_offset' from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_vm_map':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:2722: warning: implicit declaration of function `remap_page_range'
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: At top level:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:2876: error: parse error before '*' token
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:2876: warning: type defaultsto `int' in declaration of `drm_agp_module_stub'
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:2876: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agpgart_available':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3018: error: `drm_agp_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3018: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3018: error: for each function it appears in.)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3018: error: parse error before ')' token
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3039: error: request for member `free_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3041: error: request for member `free_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3044: error: request for member `allocate_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3046: error: request for member `allocate_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3049: error: request for member `bind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3051: error: request for member `bind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3054: error: request for member `unbind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3056: error: request for member `unbind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3059: error: request for member `enable' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3061: error: request for member `enable' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3064: error: request for member `acquire' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3066: error: request for member `acquire' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3069: error: request for member `release' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3071: error: request for member `release' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3074: error: request for member `copy_info' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3076: error: request for member `copy_info' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_uninit':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3147: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:578)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_free_memory':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3180: error: request for member `free_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3181: error: request for member `free_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_allocate_memory':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3190: error: request for member `allocate_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3191: error: request for member `allocate_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_bind_memory':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3201: error: request for member `bind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3202: error: request for member `bind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_unbind_memory':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3212: error: request for member `unbind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3213: error: request for member `unbind_memory' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_enable':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3223: error: request for member `enable' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3225: error: request for member `enable' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_acquire':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3271: error: request for member `acquire' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3272: error: request for member `acquire' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_release':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3282: error: request for member `release' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3283: error: request for member `release' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_copy_info':
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3296: error: request for member `copy_info' in something not a structure or union
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.c:3303: error: request for member `copy_info' in something not a structure or union
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src/firegl_public.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11'
    make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src'
    Module /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel-src failed.
    Hit return to Continue
    so why am i getting this?