Find the answer to your Linux question:
CUPS seems to be running fine, but for some reason I cannot print from open office or even a test page on my installed hpdeskjet printer. The job comes up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Cant print, cups seems to work

CUPS seems to be running fine, but for some reason I cannot print from open office or even a test page on my installed hpdeskjet printer. The job comes up then it says that it was aborted by system under the job report. Any ideas?

Re: Cant print, cups seems to work

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley/g
    CUPS seems to be running fine, but for some reason I cannot print from open office or even a test page on my installed hpdeskjet printer. The job comes up then it says that it was aborted by system under the job report. Any ideas?
    Ok, here we go, brain storming time. Did you load the HP drivers or are you using the Slack drivers? Maybe a problem there. Which desktop printer detector did you use? What HP printer? Is it USB or parallel port? HP and Epson are both Linux Friendly, re-check the printer set up if the test page will not print. Lets see what else could it be?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Linux Newbie
    Ok, the printer is hp deskjet 940c and im using kde's printing program. I installed the hp drivers from the slackware disc, and picked the driver for my printer too. I had a problem with cups origionally, then I found i had it turned off and found my problem in pkgtool, fixed it, and then I could get cups to work. So then I know cups at least says its doing what its supposed to, but it just wont take the job. Oh yeah, its using the parallel printer port.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, good info, thanks. Now you also said you are unable to get the test print to work, so something to try; Make sure the printer is is powered up, re-start the computer so the OS can spot it, once KDE is up run the printer set-up again. If the test print works, then finish the set-up out, then give a try with Open Office. But if the printer will not work from the test point, then something else is wrong, so let us know what happens.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829