Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I am a linux newbie and just settup linux OS on my laptop. I got a problem with my pcmcia wireless network card. The card is not very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

pcmcia card doesn't work..

Hi guys,
    I am a linux newbie and just settup linux OS on my laptop. I got a problem with my pcmcia wireless network card. The card is not very popular (SparkLAN WL-311FA), there is no information about the chipset used on this card. I use dump_cis to see the card manufacturer / ID and other information, however, this card is not event seen as present by linux pcmcia card service. This card is working on my pc running windows. On freebsd, I can see the kernel message showing the card manufacturer information when the card is inserted. What do you suggest for me to do? Please advice. I hope this forum is the correct place for me to ask this question.

Many thanks,

wayut

hal
    Just Joined!
    you can use ndiswrapper to get it to work. ndiswrapper will use an windows driver. the syntax is the following: ndiswrapper -i *.inf

where *.inf is the windows driver - must have the inf extension.
    check if it working by typing: modprobe ndiswrapper

if it is ok you can add ndiswrapper to kernel by typing: ndiswrapper -m

or following some of this indications:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pos...67.html#195267

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Thank you for your advice, now I have used the ndiswrapper to load the windows driver, and it seems successfull. However, still no sign of card detection.

Regards,

wayut

you have to add pcmica support in your kernel. And you probably need to download a package called. pcmcia-cs. You can find the package here:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

then type lspci to see if your card is recognized. If lspci doesn't work try as root if not then you need to downlaod pci-utilities package.

found here: http://freshmeat.net/projects/pciutils/
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    hi all
    i have bought the same card 'SparkLAN' 311-FA, on the box is noticed
    that it supported by linux, but it seems that it isn't.
    it don't have any linux stuff on the cd, on the www.sparklan.com/support.html
    there is no linux support for this card.
    lspci shows it as :
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 16af:0002 (rev 01)
    i was unable to find in the internet such PCI device ID.

cardctl shows this:
    Socket 0:
    3.3V CardBus card
    function 0: [ready]

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.