Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I am planning for a Athlon 64 939 3000+ on a MSI RS480M2-IL( this mobo looks pretty impressive actually).... with 80GB SATA and ATI x600 PCI express graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux 64 on AMD 64 939 mobo MSI RS480M2-IL

Hi all
    I am planning for a Athlon 64 939 3000+ on a MSI RS480M2-IL( this mobo looks pretty impressive actually).... with 80GB SATA and ATI x600 PCI express graphics with 2x512 MB DDR400.
    Has anyone tried FC3 64 or any other 64 bit distro's of linux on this config.
    Any advice is appreciated....

Ronban

Just Joined!
    I managed to install Gentoo (2005) on this mobo with little difficulty. Networkless install with Universal Live CD.
    Video only works with VESA currently AFAIK. Latest ATI drivers don't seem to work.
    Had to upgrade to gentoo-sources 2.6.11-r6 before IDE DMA would work. Ethernet works well. Don't know about sound yet.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamnAbdab
    Don't know about sound yet.
    Hi ScreamnAbdab,

did you already manage to get sound (analog or SPDIF) and TV-Out to work. I'm also very interested into this board and these features are very important to me.

TIA
    Frank

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: linux 64 on AMD 64 939 mobo MSI RS480M2-IL

Quote Originally Posted by ronban
    Hi all
    I am planning for a Athlon 64 939 3000+ on a MSI RS480M2-IL( this mobo looks pretty impressive actually).... with 80GB SATA and ATI x600 PCI express graphics with 2x512 MB DDR400.
    Has anyone tried FC3 64 or any other 64 bit distro's of linux on this config.
    Any advice is appreciated....

Ronban
    I've had no trouble with my socket 754 AMD64 and 2 SATA harddrives in any Linux so far, 32-bit or 64-bit. If you haven't already, you're going to run into trouble with the ATI card, though. ATI just doesn't work in Linux 90% of the time, due to the fact that their drivers are piss-poor at best. Good luck though, I have heard of some people getting them working.

Did you buy the system before or after you decided to put Linux on it? In the future, I'd personally recommend all Nvidia for display cards. They work well in Linux and MS Windows.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    hi frank47,
    I have analog sound working with snd_atiixp. Have not looked into SPDIF and TV-out yet.