Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm having a really irritating problem with the margins on printed documents using my HP Deskjet 5550, using CUPS and hpijs 1.7.1 on Gentoo 2005.0. Regardless of what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP Deskjet 5550 margins/bottom of documents cut off

Hello all,
    I'm having a really irritating problem with the margins on printed documents using my HP Deskjet 5550, using CUPS and hpijs 1.7.1 on Gentoo 2005.0. Regardless of what type of document I print, I get this very wide (about half inch) margin at the bottom of my document, cutting off the bottom lines. On word processing documents with wide margins, this isn't noticable, but it's a real pain in the neck when printing thngs like PDF files of important stuff like tax forms when the bottom lines are cut off. I've tried modifying my PPD file to set the imageable area of Letter-sized documents to 0 0 612 792. I've also tried 18 18 612 792. I've seen many situations like mine on the net, and while some have had success with this, nothing has worked for me. On some other documents, the top will be cut off by about as much as the bottom, but this doesn't happen with every print (usually with PDF files with very small margins.) I'm really lost here. Has anyone got past this kind of thing?

Thanks In Advance

Which desktop are you using and have you checked www.linuxprinting.org ?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    I'm using Gnome 2.8. And yes, I have been to linuxprinting.org. I have looked at everything related to my printer, and there's nothing like this on their site. I also posted to their forums and got nothing. But, I've been engaging in a dialogue with an hpijs developer. There is a bug related to the margins issue, but it seems now that this is more of a software issue than a driver problem. I tried the new Adobe Acrobat 7, and it seems that the printing is shifted down a little. Do you know of a way to fix that? The programmer I talked to said that this might be a scaling problem or something like that, but it's set to 100%. Not sure how to tweak anything beyond that.

Thanks for the help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hmmmm, I have not tried pdf on my Canons as yet, but I will try it out and see what happens. HPs and Epsons are the two most Linux friendly printers on the market. I know that Adobe has started support back up for Linux again. Have you checked their web site for any known bugs?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I figured the HP was a great printer (and it is) but I never expected anything like this. I searched adobe's knowledgebases and forums, and I didn't get anything. I wonder if you will see something similar with your printer. Who knows, maybe it's my ppd file?

Just Joined!

printing with cut off edges

I had a similar problem with a HP Deskjet 5940 under Debian 3.1. I had to download a .ppd file, because the 5940 was not in the Debian distribution. The printer worked fine then, except that a few millimeters of the bottom edge was cut off. I fixed the problem by installing a more recent version of the driver hpijs, i.e. I installed the up-to-date HPLIP from http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ (and ignored the warnings about version inconsistencies). Now it seems to work fine.

Laurenz.