Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, im running suse 9.1 and theres a couple of 3d games i'd really like to run but cant. i'm using an ATI radeon 9600xt, which works fine in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

graphics drivers

hi all, im running suse 9.1 and theres a couple of 3d games i'd really like to run but cant.
    i'm using an ATI radeon 9600xt, which works fine in 2d mode but a look at sax2/yast tells me that there is currently no 3d built in support for it. ive downloaded th driveres for the card off the ati website but have broken my system numerous times finding out i have neither a compiler, other commands (make etc) or the actual know how to compile/install them myself.
    now ive got all the gear i need, is there actually any benefit to installing the ati drivers at all? ive noticed the petition against ati, and i really could do without breaking my system again just to get canonsmash and that lightcycle game to look good.
    can anyone give me any advice?
    cheers
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Linux Engineer
    Take a look in these forums, there is a howto somewhere, it contains all the useful info about ATI 3D support, but it's a pain though, i've already tried it three times, and it still doesn't work - and yes I messed up the first time also
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie

ATI

I can do 3D graphics with an old ATI Rage. I told X about it in my xorg.conf
    My New years Resolution is 1280x1024

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close