Find the answer to your Linux question:
Quick question: if i replace the motherboard in my PC (chances are, keeping the same CPU/cards) would i need to reinstall/reconfigure my OS? i've upgraded items before but never a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Motherboard query...

Quick question: if i replace the motherboard in my PC (chances are, keeping the same CPU/cards) would i need to reinstall/reconfigure my OS? i've upgraded items before but never a motherboard.
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Linux Engineer
    Depends on the chipset used by your motherboard, on the extra features on it. You definitely must have the same chipset i think, that's a key component for the correct functioning of your pc. You can give it a try, but i think you better reinstall or 'repair' your install.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux User
    I think it depends a lot on the kernel. If you're using the distro supplied kernel, you'll probably be able to just pop it in and boot. If you've configured a custom kernel with only support for your hardware, you might have to change some things like CPU, USB, and IDE options.

And, of course, if something like a hard drive ends up with a different /dev entry you're going to run into trouble.

But generally, you can just copy a / directory to a brand new PC and fix which /dev file things point to as you run into issues, just as long as your kernel has the necessary options compiled in.

Either way, backup, and have a live CD on hand if you decide to try.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Re: Motherboard query...

Quote Originally Posted by PsypherPunk
    Quick question: if i replace the motherboard in my PC (chances are, keeping the same CPU/cards) would i need to reinstall/reconfigure my OS? i've upgraded items before but never a motherboard.
    LILO should automatically reconfigure it for you if you change the mainboard. Personally I've done this before with out any problems because I added wrong ram to my mainboard and didn't know it so it wouldn't install the OS, so I installed it using a different computer and place the HDD back and it worked fine. You might have to reconfigure somethings depending on which mainboard you get, but I see no problems with doing that unless of course you're using Windows.