Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ack! My Lacie external (USB) DVD writer has stopped being recognized by Redhat 8. I installed this successfully last November, but in typical fashion, I totally forgot how I did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

External USB DVD writer problem

Ack!

My Lacie external (USB) DVD writer has stopped being recognized by Redhat 8. I installed this successfully last November, but in typical fashion, I totally forgot how I did it. CDRecord-ProDVD and CDrecordwrapper-sh are still present in my /usr/bin directory, but when I run "dmesg" I get no mention of the DVD writer. However in the /mnt directory, there is indeed a "dvdrw" folder, although there is also stuff in the cdrom folder even though there is no cd in the cd-rom. The fstab file shows no DVD device either. All this seems to have happened because I removed the USB plug during relocation of the computer.

I'm pretty sure there's a simple solution to get this computer to recognize the writer again, but I've had little luck with Google, or even searching through here. Please help!

Matt

Just Joined!
    Update!

Apparently the kernal for this box was updated a month ago. I think this may have something to do with the problem. Maybe this will help shed some light on the issue?

Thanks in advance,

M.