Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anybody please confirm if this chipset's sata raid controller is supported by linux (or not), as i was thinking of buying a MSI RS480M2-IL motherbord and was hoping to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SATA support on ATI Radeon XPRESS 200

Can anybody please confirm if this chipset's sata raid controller is supported by linux (or not), as i was thinking of buying a MSI RS480M2-IL motherbord and was hoping to utilize the on-board raid controller.

Any response is highly appriciated.

Just Joined!
    I can not attest to RAID functionality, however, my SATA drive works fine (no raid). Hope this is of some use to you...

Quote Originally Posted by ScreamnAbdab
    I can not attest to RAID functionality, however, my SATA drive works fine (no raid). Hope this is of some use to you...
    Same here. SATA works fine, but I haven't tried RAID. You might take a look at this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    What SATA controller does your MSI mobo use?

I cant get any distros to see my Shuttle ST20G5 Xpress 200 SATA controller.

It uses the Uli Southbridge...

Just Joined!

Same problem.

I also have same shuttle model. Same problem. I prefer gentoo, so i originally tried gentoo... had some help on the gentoo fourms too ( http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...1.html#2538871 ), but no success. I tried numerous other distros including other livecd distros such as knoppix and ubuntu, still cant detect sata controler. Came by a guy with the same problem: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/post-242430.html so i tried Mandriva like the person there did, still fails. I also e-mailed ULi Tech Support, with no reply (gee thanks). if anyone gets it to work, i'd appreciate some assistance. anyway, good luck.

Just Joined!
    eh?

Mandriva 2005LE x86_64 CD works... you have to do linux noacpi acpi=off

Do the same for Fedora Core 4 x86_64 and that'll work...

Suse 9.3 FTP x86_64 CD is also ok with the Uli... click noacpi

The problem for me at the moment is the horrific Broadcom TG3 driver... Its real slow in Mandriva and Fedora (the broadcom integrated network is slow)...

Tried the Suse FTP last night... it had even more trouble than Fedora and Mandriva... It couldnt even give the Broadcom DHCP.. so i couldnt even DL anything...

Just Joined!
    Ive heard Slackware 10.1 is Uli equiped also