Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
In RH 9 Gnome, when I run Internet Connection Wizard, Modem connection then forward. I get "No modem was found". It a laptop with a lucent winmodem. I can't config. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

RH 9 modem not detected

In RH 9 Gnome, when I run Internet Connection Wizard, Modem connection then forward. I get "No modem was found". It a laptop with a lucent winmodem.

I can't config. what cannot be found. Then it takes me to a "select provider" (mine not listed of course), even though it found no modem. So I'm lost at this point.

yes phone line is plugged in.

Any idea's?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    ok heres what you have to do

go into console

su to root

type uname -a

this will tell u ur kernel version

look through http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/.../dists/redhat/ and find a file that matches your kernel. Download the rpm on windows then mount your windows drive or chuck it on a floppy or something. install the rpm at root ipm -i <path/filename>

eg. rpm -i /mnt/floppy/ltmodem-kv_2.4.20_2.2-8.26a9-1.i686.rpm

there will be some instructions after the modem has installed in the console window, something about update database or something. Do everything it says. The modem will connect but no data will go through if you dont.

Should work if it dont pm me and tell me what go's wrong

-Spinx

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I've done that (form the tut) after id'ing my kernal verison and chipset.

The list of rpms' I've seen so far, are by disro/version/kernal/cpu. Which is fine but then I hve a Celeron 2.2 which is really not a 586 or a 686 processor. So what would a Celeron be grouped with for driver purposes?

Thanks for any ideas.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

an anything 86 . So you'll find a nice 386 or 586 or 686 rpm file will do you proud.

have fun

Nerderello
    Happily running a Celeron 333mhz with a Lucent modem and a driver from a file called ltmodem-kv_2.4.20_8-8.26a9-1.rpm

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    thanks to nerdello i got my winmodem working in a jiffy on mandrake then redhat9 was a tad different cos there was extra stuff i had to do but yeh it worked in the end.

Word of advice: always read rpm instructions

Im running a 1ghz celeron with a lucent winmodem succesfully on redhat9 & mandrake 9

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Well I install the german verison from a previous post (just like the other one referenced) and no changes. It is installed due to the obvous msg if I try to reinstall it.

So how can I query (via AT command) a modem via cmd line to see if linux can or cannot talk to it? I ask because mine is not working withing Gnome/RH 9 but I really need to figure out at what level things have GONE WILD ! So I can continue the fight at the right level?

So is there a cmd line option, Gnome tool or other? In the Gnome's network configuration it just says "generic modem" for my winmodem (lucent chip set) is that correct?

Also what is the difference between /dev/tyySO and S1/S2/S3/10/11/12/13, as well as /dev/ttyM0 and M1/M2 or /dev/input/ttyACMO and M!/M2 and so on.? I'm currently set to /dev/ttyS0 (RH picked it).

Thanks for any info,
    Dan

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Part two-

Went and bought a book on RH 9. (2.4.20-8 ) and in the modem sections it tells me to run, dmesg | fgrep tty

I get nothing.

I run ln -s /dev/ttys0 /dev/modem and more of nothing.

Fiinally i run statserial /dev/ttys0 and continue to get nothing.

Can anyone give me a short list of analog modem mfgs that support linux directly for modern laptops? The hardare comaptibility list seem all wrong and don't include hardare that has been around for serveral years alrady like wireless nics, etc....
    Dan

Just Joined!
    I can forward you the helpful pm that nerdello gave me?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Even a drowning man will grab the tip of a sword
    I'll take any help I can get. PM or out here

I'm still trying to get it to run but with not luck. I've used Gnome tools, KDE tools, and cmd line tools all indicating that RH 9 won't/refuses to even see any analog modem. So my preference is to get the internal modem going, but if I can't, then find a current modem that does support linux (out of the box or download drv/rpm from web) or a older one that it will see as a addon card laptop card.

This issue is holding me back form all sort of gui/desktop learning I want to do. Right now I can connect to the net from work (hardwired) but my setup at home is either wireless to my PC with cable access or dialup. Hardwire is not a option at home which is where I use/learn about linux the most. Even the updates I cannot get per RH unless I buy there service or had bought the CD which comes with 30 install support only. BTW Suse comes with 60 days if you buy, on any topic. I didn't see Mandrake on the shelf to see what they offer.
    Dan

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Update, I cheated the linux ethics code and just installed a older 3Com Noteworthy modem. It was detected and works fine. It also has a internal controller.

All is well
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast