Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi Guys. My problem is my USR 5686E (spelling corrected) will not connect above 14.4k on my Mandrake 10.2 (2005 L.E.) linux box. Here are the details: I connect to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I thought a ext. USR modem would work, umm NO.

Hi Guys. My problem is my USR 5686E (spelling corrected) will not connect above 14.4k on my Mandrake 10.2 (2005 L.E.) linux box.

Here are the details: I connect to my ISP via KPPP and I ALWAYS connect at 14.4k. I boot into windows and I connect at 48-49.2k. My connection at 14.4 is slow as Mollasses. On Windows everything online loads at normal speeds. I downloaded new firmware from USR, to no avail. I have a direct 4ft phone line from modem into the wall jack, no splitters, answering machines. The problem is with linux. I have done extensive troubleshooting and the modem is fine on Windows.

I tried installing 'irqtune' to see if I could check for irq conflicts and or interrupt problems but it won't install! I have my kernel source installed but I am guessing either some library is missing (have no clue which or where to start) or my kernel is too new for this software.

Code:
    [root@localhost irqtune]# make install
    (cd /usr/local/irqtune/sbin ; make -f /usr/local/irqtune/src/Makefile CDEBUG='' CFLAGS_EXTRA='' IRQTUNE_HOME=/usr/local/irqtune IRQTUNE_VERSION=0.6 INSTALL=simp le INSTALLER=/usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune SBIN=/sbin install)
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/irqtune/sbin'
    /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune -i simple /sbin /usr/local/irqtune
    make[1]: /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune: Command not found
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 127
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/irqtune/sbin'
    make: *** [install] Error 2

What the heck do I do?

-Sam
    FRUSTRATED!!! I had problems with winmodems, and bought this US Robotics external modem, and thought all my problems would be over, AND NOW THIS!!!!

Linux Guru
    Strange that US Robotics doesn't mention 5696E on their website. Or maybe you mean 5686E? The 5686E is specifically listed as compatible with Linux. I'd suggest you look at your connection settings: error control, etc. Wish I could be more specific.

I had a lot of trouble with my dial-up in Fedora Core 3: slow, long periods of no transmission, disconnection. I e-mailed my ISP to complain and ask if there were problems with their local node. It took me way too long to find that my Fedora Core 1 (which I had not deleted) had flawless service. I've quit using FC3, so I didn't look for the root of that problem, but my problem is obviously in the Linux system, so that's where I'd look.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks for the reply, but I need specifics I am a bit new to this, but willing to try what I can.

I know the issue is with Linux. Not with my ISP. I get excellent connections from my home when using the SAME modem on a Windows installation. (Even from the same computer).

The issue is with linux but I have no idea how to troubleshoot and even more importantly once I do find the problem what to do about it.

Like I said, I read up on this and found that there are issues with Linux and serial port interrupts. So I went and got irqtune which is purported to help fix these issues, BUT it wont compile. So I am getting more frustrated by the minute. I like Linux but if I can''t get a winmodem to work, and can't get answers on how to get a hardware modem to work, then I will be stuck to going with windows were everything works.

-Sam

Linux Guru
    You might want to post at the Programming and Scripting Forum with a link to this thread and a suject line re: compiling problems and/or makefile questions.

Since the reported error is:
    make[1]: /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune: Command not found
    you might want to look at what files you have. I'm new to Makefiles as well, but it looks to me that you need to have these files for compiling:

/usr/local/irqtune/sbin/install (executable?)
    /usr/local/irqtune/src/Makefile
    /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune (executable)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

Ok I will try it

Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I will try it and see what responses I can generate.

Alrighty, well, the error that make is reporting is that the /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune file is not being happy.

Therefore, I must ask two questions:

First, does it exist?

Second, is it executable? To check this, run the command

Code:
    ls -l /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune
    And see if an "x" appears in the permissions. It should also appear green when you run ls, but this may differ based on colors enabled, etc.

Linux Enthusiast
    If /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune existed but was not executable the error
    message would be "Permission denied" instead of "Command not found".
    So my guess is it's not there.

AD6XS , which steps did you follow to install irqtune ? I have no experience
    with this particular package but the steps one usually goes through are
    configure , make , make install

Have you read the README and INSTALL files ?

Just Joined!

Reply to Santa's Helper

Yes I read the readme/install instructions thoroughly.

Although I am a newbie, I have installed a winmodem driver (which worked till I switched to Mandrake 10.2 when I failed), and am a bit familiar with some of the commands involved.

Anyway, the install file sez...

Q: How do I do a simple installation?
    Go to the IRQTUNE_HOME directory:
    cd /usr/local/irqtune

To install irqtune, enter:
    make install

This will install the files:
    /sbin/irqtune
    /sbin/irqtune_mod.o
    /sbin/irqtune_npr.o
    I mean, I followed those steps to the 'T'. You can see in the code I pasted in the original post above, that I ran the 'make install' command which solicited the errors I am having. If I need to run the configure, and make commands prior to this, then let me know and I will try it,

-AD6XS

Linux Enthusiast
    I just noticed that in the code you gave in your first post it says SBIN=/sbin install
    I'm almost certain it ought to be SBIN=/sbin/install
    It might be that you just left it out as you were copying and pasting
    so can you check your makefile and see how it appears there ?
    If it appears without the / then add it and run make install again.

Oh and it might also be a good idea before each successive experiment to
    erase each file created by the previous make install so that you have
    a clean start each time.

Just Joined!
    No I copied from the terminal exactly. I am 98% sure what you see is what I saw in my terminal window.

#> I will run 'ls' and see what it does.

#> I always make sure to run 'make uninstall' but I guess you are saying its best to delete the whole thing, unzip another copy and start over.

-AD6XS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast