Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi, I have a BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem, and I want to use it with SuSe, but it doesn't detect it. I think the drivers are needed, but there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BT Voyager 105 DSL Modem (USB)

Hi, I have a BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem, and I want to use it with SuSe, but it doesn't detect it. I think the drivers are needed, but there arent any for Linux are there?

BT Voyager is a UK DSL Modem, can anyone from the UK help?

C.Barber

Linux Newbie
    I have a BT Voyager 100, so hopefully this will be the same driver.
    First off, make sure that you have make and gcc installed on your SuSE system, as you will need to compile beta-drivers.

Now go to: http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/download.php?lang=en and scroll down till you find the [ EciAdsl Nortek ] section. Now download the bz2 file, and reboot to linux (assuming you're using windows to write the messages on here).
    Now copy the bz2 file to somewhere like /usr/src and start a shell prompt.
    You will need to type the following in (im not 100% sure about directories):
    Code:
    tar -jxvf eciadsl-usermode-0.10-nortek-alpha.tar.bz2
    cd eciadsl-usermode-0.10-nortek-alpha
    ./configure
    make install
    make cfg
    cp GS7470_SynchFiles/gs7470_synch03*.bin /etc/eciadsl
    (Remeber that capitals matter).

Now you have to configure the driver with settings that BT gave you.
    The VPI is 0 and the VCI is 38. The password can be anything you want, I usually just use BT. When it asks you to choose modem, type 10 and chipset is GS7470. When choosing synch files, you want gs7470_synch03.bin.
    Hope this helps, post back if you have problems .

Edit [24/05/05]: I made a mistake in the synch files. Aparently for the Voyager 105 the correct synch file is _synch03.bin, whereas for the 100 its _synch01.bin. Sorry for any problems this caused anyone.

Just Joined!
    thanks for your help I will give it a go and get back to you

Just Joined!
    where can i get gcc?

I get an error when running ./configure saying GCC Location not found

Linux Newbie
    If you need something in RPM form, which is what SuSE uses, the best place to look for any package is http://rpmfind.net.
    Depending on which version of SuSE you use you will either need:
    GCC 3.3.4 for 9.2
    or
    GCC 3.3.3 for 9.1

You may also need to search for binutils and make, if using RPM Find, you need to scroll down a bit before you find them for SuSE.

Just Joined!
    Hi andrewdodd13

Am another Linux user with a similar problem.
    I did what you said, downloaded the file, copied the code etc. but I didn't get the part about choose modem as type 10.
    I tried skipping that but when I type in the start command, it stops at the synchronisation step. It just hangs there.
    help!
    Thank You!

Linux Newbie
    I'm not sure, it should definetly give you the option to pick a modem. The synchronisation is probably failing due to the fact that it doesn't know which ID to look for on the usb port.
    If you have a GUI with icons, etc, try installing tk and then doing make cfg, as this will build a nice neat menu which should allow you to choose the correct modem more easily. (If there's no option for BT Voyager 105, pick the 100).

I've recently moved over to a router solution, so I don't have the exact files on hand to show which to manually edit, or I could give you much easier instructions on editing the config file to set the modem IDs correctly.

Just Joined!
    I havent got a clue how to install GNC

This is the first time i've used linux. Is there any disto with this Eciadsl thing pre-installed or a guide to installing this GNC?

Linux Newbie
    There aren't any distros AFAIK with eciadsl-nortek installed, however, SuSE personal is about the only mainstream distro I can think of that doesn't have GCC with the download edition.

Just Joined!
    Hello. I'm completely new here and in desperate need of help

I've been having the exact same problems as c.barber:
    couldn't ./configure cause "gcc location couldn't be found"
    so I went to http://rpmfind.net and downloaded gcc 3.3.4 for suse 9.2
    .. it said i'd need binutils and glibc-devel so i downloaded those but i didn't really know what to do with them thought i'd just use that other code as an example (cause as i say i'm completely new to all this and really just want my modem working first ) so yes... i tried ./configure for binutils but it checked for gcc and came up negative then checked for cc and again came up negative and then gave the error "no acceptable cc found in $PATH" and i just have no idea what to do with the glibc-devel files.

I really need help lol so any aid would be muchly appreciated thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast