Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running a 2.6.10 kernel on this motherboard but it will not recognize the onboard VT8237 Ethernet controller. I load the via-rhine module but it only shows a version id ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Abit KV-80 / VIA VT8237 LAN not Recognized

I'm running a 2.6.10 kernel on this motherboard but it will not recognize the onboard VT8237 Ethernet controller. I load the via-rhine module but it only shows a version id string in the system log. According to the module source code it's supposed to know about the VT8237 but doesn't. I get something like:

00.0e.0 Ethernet Controller Via... Unknown device 3119 (rev 11)

Any ideas?
    My New years Resolution is 1280x1024

My MoBo is a Asus K8V SE Deluxe (VIA K8T900 / VIA VT8237) and the NIC uses the sk98lin driver, you have to choices, either compile it directly in to you kernel or compile it as a module and modprobe it (the alter will let you test without rebooting, but the first is a better permanent solution).
    Select the network card driver named "Marvell Yukon Chipset / SysKonnect SK-98xx Support" in the kernel config to build this driver.

Here's the 'help' text for it:
    cat /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/Kconfig | grep SK98LIN -A 77 | less

[edit]btw, you'll find it under "Network device support"->"Ethernet(1000Mbit)"[/edit]
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Newbie

go it.

We were using the VIA_RHINE driver. That is for 10/100 Mbit devices. Ours was a 1000Mbit device. We got it running. now. Thanks.

We had to use theVIA velocity driver.
    My New years Resolution is 1280x1024