Find the answer to your Linux question:
i searched in the forum but i didn't see a link for website to know if my creative's modem support in fedora 3 or not ... so i want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how can i find a link to creative modem

i searched in the forum but i didn't see a link for website to know if my creative's modem support in fedora 3 or not ... so i want to download a driver to this modem

first place to look is http://www.linmodems.org . Check out their database link.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    i found the driver but....
    the modem's chipset is HSF and so i download the RPM driver for my distro (fedora 3) and kernel and i insttaled it by command:
    rpm -Uvh hsfconfig(version).rpm
    but i didn'r see the virtual file: /dev/ttySHSF
    and the next problem that when i come in the graphical interface (Gnome) i have the following message:
    (can't find the "localhost.localdomain" try to put it in /ets/hosts file)
    what''s the proplem... do i need to install kernel-source ... i looked for the kernel-source in the "Add/remove applications" but i coudn't find it

hmm, not sure what's happening there.

Let's start with the question that I can answer. Kernel source (doubt if you actually need it) is NOT shipped with FDC3 (or 2), you need to get it from the net (try http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../core/updates/).

As to the missing /dev/ not sure, do you need to reboot or do any "modprobe" type commands (not having used such a modem myself, I don't know)?

As to the Gnome problem, let me get home to my PC (I'm at a library at the moment on a Windows PC), and I'll see what it says in my /etc/hosts.

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    sorry i coudn't see my kernel-source-2.6.9-1.667 at the link above

Just Joined!
    i found the desired file ... kernel.2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm
    but what are the steps to install it ... so i need it to install nvidia driver
    on other hand there is no change in modem's driver

Just Joined!
    i can't open the hosts file it's not a text file also i haven't network card but in another machine with the same distro i can open it with cat commant so it's atext file and i have a network card in second

right, to install an rpm you do :-

rpm -ihv filename.rpm

You must be root (or su -) to do the rpm command. So, open a terminal, enter "su -" followed by the root password. Then change directory (cd) to the folder you have the rpm file in (such as "cd /home/myname" ). Then enter the rpm command.

As to the /etc/hosts file. Make sure that you have the correct permissions (ie. go in as root or su - (as above)). Then edit it (I usual enter "gedit" at the superuser command line prompt, to get the Gnome editor with the root permissions). My hosts file looks like this :-

Code:
    # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
    A quick explanation, the TCP/IP address 127.0.0.1 is a special one, called the loop back address. This address is local to your PC, it is NEVER used on any network (LAN, Internet etc.). It is only used to give your PC a TVCPIP address that will always be available (cos it's on your PC).

hope this helps

Nerderello

[/code]

Just Joined!
    thanks... i installed kernel-source and correct the hosts file.. so i can come in gnome without problem ... i will try to install modem driver again