Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Yar. From a few yardsales I got a decent shot at an okay box. Pentium II, 192MB Ram And got a LITEON Combo Drive 52X32x52xCD-RW&16X DVD-ROM 40 Gig HDD I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PC refuses to install any Operating System!

Yar.
    From a few yardsales I got a decent shot at an okay box.

Pentium II, 192MB Ram

And got a LITEON Combo Drive 52X32x52xCD-RW&16X DVD-ROM

40 Gig HDD

I'm at whits end here.

I've used a Win98 book disk and run FDisk on my drive. I have a Win98 (1st Ed) Disk that formatted the drive. Then it went to load files needed to setup Windows 98...it sits there.

I really want it to be a linux box and I get similar results.
    RedHat7, Slax, Mandrake 10.1, LinspireLive4.x, and Slackware 10.1 all go though first parts of setting up, then stops responding at:
    "Decompressing Linux. Okay, Loading the Kernel."

I first thought it was ram (updated from 64 MB to 192 MB since)
    Then the CD Drive (Updated from 32x drive to the Combo drive)

Sucker has onboard Video and Audio, but I'm using a cheap IDE card for Video.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Linux User
    Have you tried disabling ACPI at the boot prompt?

Try booting with only the new RAM, maybe the old 64MB is bad.

Otherwise I'm thinking the motherboard. Try playing around in the BIOS, disabling things like DMA just to troubleshoot. If you have a PCI IDE controller you might try using that.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    Been booting with new ram to no avail.

Power Management was disabled, but I've re-enabled it just now. It doesn't seem to be making a difference.

The drives are all set to cable select on the jumpers and set to Auto for settings.

Still freezes like it's a 'Nam vet seeing heavy combat when a kernel tries to load.

Linux User
    Ok, what happens when it freezes? Does it just sit there or does the kernel panic? If it panics, what's the message? If it just sits there, how long have you given it?

The reason to set things back in the BIOS is to go below the standard settings Auto provides.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    It stops at
    "Uncompressing Linux. ...Ok, loading the Kernel"

It's been sitting there for over an hour now. No Panic message. Just acts as if nothing is happening.

Linux User
    That kind of sounds like a heat issue. Try reseating your CPU's heatsink, making sure you're not using too much or too little thermal paste, and ensuring that the fan is working properly. Or maybe the power supply, do you have another to try?
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe

Just Joined!
    It's a 200w PSU. The only other one I have to test is a 100wPSU. But I will check the fans and heatsinks. Though the heatsink on the processor should be okay. It's the type with the friggin huge sink on the back side of the processor card.

When you were in fdisk did you make the disk active?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Hard to say what is going wrong. ACPI is not the issue I think because the Slackware kernel comes without ACPI support and it is not comming that far. Looks to me like a memory problem. You can test it with a bootdisc with memtest86. If that does not fail or give errors your memory should be fine.

Did you change the battery? Also see if you can track down the latest bios update for the MB.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast