Find the answer to your Linux question:
i tried to install my printer but there is no driver and if i scroll down to no driver and select it the next screen says that it failed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Canon iP1000 Printer drivers

i tried to install my printer but there is no driver and if i scroll down to no driver and select it the next screen says that it failed to configure printer 'printer'
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

I just love replying to an non-question. So here goes all of my questions for you. So, are you still using Mandrake 10.0? Have you updated the driver database yet? Do you know that your printer is newer than when MD 10.0 came out? What USB interface is the printer 1.0 or 2.0? Is the interface backwards compatable? Did you try any of the other Canon drivers listed on the out of date printer database? Did you even try to research anything about your Canon printer, like is it at least MAC compatable (rule of thumb to maybe work under Linux)?
    Do you get the picture of what you might get, when you just make a statment, instead of asking the right question?
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829

1. yes i am still using Mandrake 10.0
    2. how do you update the driver database?
    3.no i did not know that
    4. as far as i know it is both USB 1,1.1 and 2
    5. as far as i know yes
    6. no i didn't
    7. yes i did research it and it is Mac compatible
    8. yes i think i get the picture

Btw, is there a driver for my Canon iP1000 printer for Slackware (what ive been told to use)
    for this machine http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pos...43.html#222743
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, in the Drake control panel there should be a software package manger and if I remember right, it has a choice of online and from the CD updates. The online has bug fixes, security fixes and other up dates. But again 10.0 may not have the drivers for your printer, so you may need to upgrade to the newest version of Mandrake. The CD updates will let you pick and choose the software packages that were not loaded during the install. Like, the light desktops, icewm, blackbox and a couple of other ones.

Slackware for your present machine should be version 9 which works better with the older machines. After getting that loaded, then do the driver update for the printer. I would say that Vector would be the better choice for a distro because it made for support of the older machines. Vector is an Slack based distro.

Which one has your printer support on it? Check their web sites and see if they do. I know that the drivers for my Canon S450s use the BJ6000 drivers. No, none of the bells and wistles work but at least they print.
    Research, research, research before you walk the plank.
    Registered Linux User #398829