Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to know the list of modems (manufacturer) that is linux compatible or have free driver for them..FREE driver for them!!!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

List of modems for linux

i want to know the list of modems (manufacturer) that is linux compatible or have free driver for them..FREE driver for them!!!

I would think that just about any hardware (non winmodem) would be OK. Check your distro's hardware compatibility list before buying anything, though.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    how do i know if the modem is a winmodem??

Often (but not always) it will say it on the box. It's been literally years since I've had to buy a modem, though, so things may have changed.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    .. any of you have modem that linux recognizes and linux have a driver so that you dont have to download a driver..if so..what brand is that..

Just Joined!
    FYI. I have found external, serial modems to be flawless under linux. Even though I have been on a T1 for more than 2 years now, I still keep that little bugger around because he puts a twinkle in my eye. I don't think they make them anymore, but they should be fairly cheap on ebay....

Just Joined!
    so whats the brand name?

Just Joined!
    i just borrow an old modem .its a motorola. is this a winmodem?

Just Joined!
    Before I got broadband, I used a Creative Blaster V.92 external serial modem with Suse 9.1 without any problems. In fact, I think I got consistently higher connect speeds than with my winmodem under XP with the same ISP and phone line.

Someone above said you might not be able to buy these any more, but I found one on amazon for $60.