Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I just bought an Asus CUSL2 motherboard, and I discovered it has onboard graphics (Intel i815P chipset); now I read a review on Tom's Hardware saying the performance ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Can my Intel onboard graphics adapter handle a spanking new Linux?

Hi guys, I just bought an Asus CUSL2 motherboard, and I discovered it has onboard graphics (Intel i815P chipset); now I read a review on Tom's Hardware saying the performance of the onboard graphics wasn't great, even in 2D.
    I have a spare graphics card available, but since I would like to use this system as a download/internet box and keep the power consumption as low as possible (i have a heavier, more recent system for all the rest), I was wondering if Linux would pull it just with the onboard adapter. It would be Kanotix, kernel 2.6.11, and desktop environment would be Xfce 4.2 (which I know is very light on resources).

So can I risk installing the latest linux with a modern DE on this system with an onboard graphics adapter? I'm not gonna use any eyecandy (except for a beautiful window skin ). I just want to know, so I don't have to reinstall with the VGA card if it doesn't work without... Thanks a lot!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

On my last computer I had an i810 onboard video.
    The only problem was that some of the distros I tried, Suse 9.1 and MDK 10.1, Slack 10 was fine
    My fonts were extremely tiny, in order to see them I had to set them at 150. Every once in awhile I would boot up and my font would be huge.
    With the help of UgoDeschamps I learned how to edit the fonts from the command line.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Thanks... Generation-wise, is there a big difference between 810 and 815 when it comes to performance, or am I hoping too much? I'll check for UgoDeschamps... I suppose it's a nick?

Anyway, Kanotix is Debian-based, i'll give it a try anyway. But your system didn't become unresponsive because of the onboard graphics adapter?

Edit: Ok, I found your thread... Let's hope it works with Xfce 4 also .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Hey, I just installed Kanotix, no problem here with the fonts! So far so good . Thanks anyway!