15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Hat

7 46.67%
  • SuSe

4 26.67%
  • Mandrake

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
oh yea when bb comes into the area i will be getting an adsl modem/router combo - netgear DG 814 so i can split my internet access between ps2, puter1, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

oh yea when bb comes into the area i will be getting an adsl modem/router combo - netgear DG 814 so i can split my internet access between ps2, puter1, puter 2 and hopefully a laptop soon :P

Just Joined!
    This is for red hat 9 linux isnt it??

and i saw on the GNU webby that they are against "non-Free" software . . . isnt red hat 9 "non-free"?

Can some one please tell me what the letters GNU stand for like GNU = Great National Union or something or is it just a project name?? hope this dusnt count as spam either

Lol Downloading Red Hat aint exactly for the 56K user is it :P i guess id need all 6 files which totals 3447 MB dusnt it?

lol or wud it only be 3 files at half that size?

Thanks again -Ashley

GNU is an acronym for GNU's Not Unix. What they mean by free and unfree software is pretty easy. Un-free is proprietairy software, like microsoft windows. Where all the end-user rights are removed, and you cannot freely distribute the software or have a look at its sourcecode.

Free software, is where the end-user actually has some rights. Like, sharing the latest linux kernel with its frinds, and not worrying about breaking the law. The GPL gives you some rights that means that you can copy, distribute and modify the software.

You can also sell free software, just like redhat has been doing for years.

The redhat thing: You only need the 3 first cd's. You can buy the cd's off from some internet stores, that sells redhat for like $5. The price only covers postage and cdrom expences that the store haves. They do this to make more people use GNU/Linux. There is no support though.

Good luck

flw
    Linux Engineer
    You can buy the cd's off from some internet stores, that sells redhat for like $5.
    Not sure where you out of, but in U.S its about $40 and 30 days of installation only support. Free if you download and burn the iso's with no support. Except for http://www.this_site_does_not_exist

As far as Internet stores they are selling the free version so you still get no install support. So buyer beware !
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Thats was what I was thinking of. stores that are selling them that low to promote free software

Just Joined!
    so i cud sell redhat onto firends? or would that be against the law since i had to buy it ?? and there is 25% off redhat atm on www.dabs.com :P hope its still on in sept i heard tht there is two ways to install red hat linux tho like cant remember the two options but i think it had to do with gnome and summat else if dis is right which is best to go with??

More then likely Gnome and KDE. They are the most common desktop environments for Linux. For a new user KDE is the desktop of choice!!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    More then likely Gnome and KDE. They are the most common desktop environments for Linux. For a new user KDE is the desktop of choice!!
    Which ever one you can figure out how to work with the least amount of effort is the one you should use. Both have there upsides and down.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Which ever one you can figure out how to work with the least amount of effort is the one you should use. Both have there upsides and down.
    KDE has loads more tools then Gnome.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    KDE has loads more tools then Gnome.
    True, but if a user is new to linux or to KDE they don't help very much in day to day use. This is much like how RH has more built in cmd line tools than Mandrake but that doesn't make it better unless the user can take advantage of it.
    Dan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast