15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Hat

7 46.67%
  • SuSe

4 26.67%
  • Mandrake

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
hi i wanna know if all meh computer is fully compatible with linux here is alist of componants: Motherboard: Asus p4xp-x CPU: Celeron 2.40 GHz DVD Drive: Panasonic (matsusha or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Computer

hi i wanna know if all meh computer is fully compatible with linux here is alist of componants:

Motherboard: Asus p4xp-x
    CPU: Celeron 2.40 GHz
    DVD Drive: Panasonic (matsusha or something)
    CD-RW: AOpen (dont know any other info)
    Floppy Disk: Panasonic
    Modem: Generic Soft K56 Modem
    Printer: Lexmark Z12
    Scanner: UMAX astra 2100
    Camera: Logitech Quick Cam
    Keyboard: Universal Keyboard
    Video Card: Unknown AGP (going to change)
    Speakers: Creative Sound Blaster
    HD: am going to buy a Seagate Barracuda 60 GB 7200 RPM

I think thats all the hardware cept for monitor

also does USB 2.0 Work??

And do apps like dreamweaver work on linux?? :P:P or would i have to buy star office if it has a web development pack

And i also need to know bout Internet Messenger Systems like MSN Messenger do they work too or can i use trillian to connect to msn?? i aint sure on it cause its made by microsoft so yano they mite not support linux or summat.

And finally what about anti virus? do i need it? and can i use norton if i do need it?

Tell me if you need more info

Thanks in advance -Ashley

Your PC seems able to run most GNU/Linux distro's. I think that 2.4.20 > has usb 2.0 support, but I'm not quite shure. But 2.5.something has 2.0 support, that I'm shure of

You can run dreamweaver in GNU/Linux by using Crossover office or wine. A website that explains is here: http://frankscorner.org/dreamweavermx.html

You can use GAIM (Http://gaim.sf.net) to connect to many IM protocols like ICQ, MSN and other stuff..

No need for anti virus, just run as a normal user instead of root.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    So my computer is perfectly compatible?? i wudda thought that a few things wudda been wrong thanks for yourr help im thinking of running both windows me and linux on same comp, diff HD's do i need to create an image of the primary drive first? i got all the back ups i need

flw
    Linux Engineer
    The only issues I see are your modem (this is only if it is a controllerless type-winmodem), your camera, scanner and possibly the printer. This are not show stoppers but known hardware issues with linux in general that may need to be resolved by you manually.

Some people decide to create a dual boot machine due to looking for the best of both OS's. You may not want this but it is worth considering.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    i sed i wanted duel boot abuv so i need a new modem, dont give a s*i* bout the camea or scanner can you recomend a low priced printer ??? atm its gonner cost 10 with new 80 GB HD i know i need a new modem if i upgrade to xp i will :P so that was expected its just the printer

Thanks for every1's elp so far -Ashley

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I didn't say they would not work. I said you may need to manually configure some of them. Your printer may be fine.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    oh right so you mean like get the drivers for them off the internet? well i need a new modem any way. this one messes up quite alot. if i need help configuring can i come here?

Get an external one they are always real modems, You should just need to plug it in and it will work.

The printer looks to work somewhat ok, check it out here

For your scanner, i think it works by using SANE, but I'm not 100% shure.

Your camera should be supported by gphoto. I'm not 100% shure there.

Just Joined!
    kewl thanks i want an internal modem though because i dont want my modem hoarding my desktop space (i mean where my keyboard sits and that) i dont use cam and canner much . . .the scanner dusnt even work proply on windows :P i can only use it thru ms office's scanning prog camera i can use on my windows op if i need it so all i want is the printer and internet on the linux out o the 4 that yall wernt sure on b4. thanks so much for yer help

oh yea bout the poll abuv i ment to put lindows in aswell but i had summat wrong with internet

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast